Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Raymarine experts - RL80CRC Radar Compatibiloty

Can anyone tell me if the E52067 4kw raydome is compatible with the RL80CRC multifunction screens?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Default Re: Raymarine experts - RL80CRC Radar Compatibiloty

Yes, it is. But if in your original installation you had the 2kw radome, more than likely you've got the "light" cable, which can't handle the 4kw.
    If that is the case, on top of the 4kw radome you must find also its larger cable, and (most importantly) hope to be able to pull out the old one and replace it.

Ok cool thanks. Original kit is dead Furuno. Ray done came with cable but Ellesar not convinced it’s thick enough. Don’t suppose you know how to tell? Thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Ok cool thanks. Original kit is dead Furuno. Ray done came with cable but Ellesar not convinced it’s thick enough. Don’t suppose you know how to tell? Thickness?
    I have a vague recollection that its just the positive and neg supplies that are larger worth confirming as then you could run an additional separate twin core cable

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Donít suppose you know how to tell?
    Yes I do Jez, 'cause I went through the same evaluations, and IIRC I also took some pics.
    Just give me a bit of time, I'll revert as soon as I'll be on my notebook.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that in none of the pics I took when I replaced my radome the cable connector is visible.

Anyhow, yes, I suppose there must be a difference in thickness, but I can't tell you how much exactly.
    Otoh, while the plug that goes on the back on the RL80 is the same for both cables, on the other end of the cable you can easily distinguish the light one rated for the 2kW radome, because aside from the connector of the data wires, it only has two power cables (red and black).
    In the 4kW cable, the power cables are doubled (2 red and 2 black).
    It could well be that it's sufficient to run additional separate power wires to use the 4kW radome with the light cable, as stelican suggested, but I can't be positive about that.
    I'm attaching below the cable scheme (see footnote for the additional wires).

I just bought a RL70C and had to replace the black connector above in the dome. I noticed when doing so that I have the heavier cable suitable for 2kw or 4kw.
    You need to open the dome and should have 2 x positive and 2 x negative feeds. They are separate from the black plug above. I would imagine if you only have 1xpositive and 1xnegative that you need to upgrade the cable, or as stated, run an extra positive and neg to a separate gland in the dome.

you can just see the connections in the picture I took while setting mine up

Last edited by SPDauto; 20-05-19 at 10:57.

All Pathfinder radomes have double +ve / -ve connectors regardless of 2kw / 4kw.

The only difference is that the thicker cable has two sets of power cables to either avoid voltage drop on long runs or supply the 4kw radar.

Personally I would sell the RL80 and buy a newer C80/C120 before you buy a radome. The map support and resolution for the old plotters is seriously dated now.

Didn't know the radomes had both regardless of kw! I can measure the thickness of my cable if needs be, but as said it just has double positive and double negs

My radome only has one + and one - power input. Quite large but totally different to the one in the pic.
    Cable supplied with it only has one cable but both are significantly larger than the one pictured .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast