Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Port to port?

Default Port to port?

Working on the canal here this year I have noticed a reluctance by quite a number of yachts to pass on starboard when meeting between locks, I thought it was just an inland waterways thing but turning the corner into Loch Crinan from the Sound of Jura on Friday we met a boat motoring out, we were quite close to the headland but I made a distinct turn to starboard, he turned to pass inside me, I turned again now as close to the point as I felt comfortable with, but again he altered, so I gave up and made about 30 degrees to port to let him pass, tapping my head with my forefinger in acknowledgement. Benign conditions, good visibility both motoring so no danger but I would not want to meet him at night. Boat came back in to the basin later, one of the permanent residents of the dummy lock and I was tempted to have a word but in the end did not bother.
    Is it because they do not know, scary! or just that they do not care ?

Default Re: Port to port?

Do you mean we don't drive on the left? We can fix that after Brexit.

What does "tapping the head" imply? I haven't heard of it before.
    A significant/obvious course alteration makes sense - but might you have used your foghorn?

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    What does "tapping the head" imply? I haven't heard of it before.
    A significant/obvious course alteration makes sense - but might you have used your foghorn?
    It made sure it was fekking obvious what I was doing, don't think sound signals could have made it more clear, perhaps Awol is right and he is a brexiteer, though I suspect he was just determined not to go outside me. Surely in close quarter situations like within the canal or rounding headlands keeping to the correct side is a lot more important than on open water. As for tapping my skull I am amazed that you have not been experiencing that gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    As for tapping my skull I am amazed that you have not been experiencing that gesture.
    The only time I've seen it is as a suggestion of derision among motorists, always from within their tin box:
    Are you all right in the head?
    I'm not aware of it as a nautical signal.

I used to go down the first section of the Manchester Ship Canal in order to access the Weaver Navigation for over wintering in Northwich. The pilotsthere were very succinct in their agreements for passing i.e. red to red or green to green and seemed very flexible on the passing arrangements.

From CEVNI (download pdf 1, download pdf 2)

Note: for NORMAL VESSELS read COMMERCIAL.

NORMAL VESSELS GOING DOWNSTREAM HAVE PRIORITY OVER
    THOSE COMING UPSTREAM, BUT UPSTREAM VESSELS CHOOSE
    WHICH SIDE THEY WILL GIVE WAY ON
    If the meeting is to be port to port the upstream vessel makes no signal.
    If the meeting is to be stbd to stbd, the upstream vessel shows a blue board, with or without white isophase light to stbd.
    The downstream vessel acknowledges that the passing will to stbd by displaying its blue board.

SMALL CRAFT ALWAYS GIVE WAY TO NORMAL VESSELS & KEEP A LOOK OUT IN ALL DIRECTIONS- INCLUDING BEHIND!
    WHEN BLUE BOARDS ARE IN USE, ESPECIALLY ON BUSY FAST FLOWING RIVERS, THE GREATEST CARE, VIGILANCE & COMMONSENSE IS NEEDED. DOWNSTREAM
    VESSELS MAY BE AT THE MERCY OF THE CURRENT.
    LADEN UPSTREAM VESSELS MAY NEED TO FIND SLACK WATER EITHER COULD BE HAMPERED BY THEIR DRAFT.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quandary, your mistake was to post your incident on here. Stand by to be accused of unnecessary pedantry for trying to stick to the rules .... or maybe accusations of trying to start a mobo/raggie them and us thread. If he was the only faighean you met between Ardrishaig and Crinan consider yourself blessed.

Surely the purpose of the regs is to explain actions to be taken to avoid an imminent collision. Where there isn't a collision impending, there is no need to follow them. I had a fairly narrow miss leaving Tarbert harbour a few years ago. I saw a fishing boat heading in, so I steered to starboard and aimed to pass red to red but he didn't budge. I was sandwiched between him and the marker pole at the entrance which I cleared with less than 2m either side. I'm sure he was amusing himself but now I ignore the ruie of the road unless there is actually a risk of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Quandary, your mistake was to post your incident on here. Stand by to be accused of unnecessary pedantry for trying to stick to the rules .... or maybe accusations of trying to start a mobo/raggie them and us thread. If he was the only faighean you met between Ardrishaig and Crinan consider yourself blessed.
    He could change his username to CollReg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast