Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New yachts rudder bearing failures

We met a lovely couple who came over to the Caribbean on the 2018 ARC they have a Jeanneau 54 that is still in warranty. Apparently they have warranty work needed. The rudder bearings need replacing! They said all the Atlantic down wind sailing was hard on the bearings! I may be wrong but I would have thought that was the least load on rudder bearings. He also said that lots of boats had rudder bearing issues following the ARC. Since most boats on the ARC in 2018 were less than three years old, what is going on with these modern boats and rudder design? I cant imagine buying a new boat and having rudder bearings issues in such a short space of time

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: New yachts rudder bearing failures

Were these all rolling element bearings? There seems to be a trend to fit them now, especially on larger boats where they will reduce friction compared with a plain bearing. However, rolling element bearings are not very long-lasting in oscillation and this may be the cause of the problems. Bearings with cages are more susceptible but angular contact types with cages accept axial thrust and are probably the type selected.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Rudder bearings get a pretty hard time sailing downwind in any waves, as the steering movement is greater and the loads higher as you try to stop the boat being pushed off course from the following waves and it's constant for 20 days or more. So 480 hours of wear at quite high loads is probably more than many boats will see over a couple of years of weekend sailing. We also saw a boat where the hull had cracked around the rudder bearing which was brand new so the owners were looking at warranty repairs.

The thing is there are now far better materials than Delrin as a plain bush and rolling element bearings have their downsides. It would be interesting to know what types of rudder bearing had issues.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

A lot of yachts, it seems to me the autopilot is on a mission to wear out the bearings, needlessly sawing the wheel from side to side?

There is a not uncommon cause of roller bearing failure called "brinelling" where instead of a rotary load, there is a side to side linear load which causes the balls to make dents in the bearing races. This can set off corrosion , distortion, spalling leading to bearing seizure or other failure.

The rolling motion of a boat going downwind may generate alternating lateral loads on the rudder and transfer these to the stock and bearings.

I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Would be interesting to know if all the failures are on spade rudders. Don't understand the explanation about bearing failures above, vehicles go tens of thousands of miles with much higher stress on wheel bearings which can be either ball or roller.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Y View Post
    Rudder bearings get a pretty hard time sailing downwind in any waves, as the steering movement is greater and the loads higher as you try to stop the boat being pushed off course from the following waves and it's constant for 20 days or more. So 480 hours of wear at quite high loads is probably more than many boats will see over a couple of years of weekend sailing. We also saw a boat where the hull had cracked around the rudder bearing which was brand new so the owners were looking at warranty repairs.

The thing is there are now far better materials than Delrin as a plain bush and rolling element bearings have their downsides. It would be interesting to know what types of rudder bearing had issues.
    I have no idea what kind of bearings are installed in modern production boats but surely a single Atlantic crossing should not be enough to wear the bearings out? It sounds like it was a common problem. Are modern 54 ft production boats built for just weekend sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Would be interesting to know if all the failures are on spade rudders. Don't understand the explanation about bearing failures above, vehicles go tens of thousands of miles with much higher stress on wheel bearings which can be either ball or roller.
    I think most modern production boats these days use spade rudders. The loads on the bearings must be considerably more than those rudders mounted on skegs.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Are modern 54 ft production boats built for just weekend sailing?
    In theory no but, accountants are too involved with reducing production costs these days and spade rudders much cheaper to build than a decently supported skeg.

Was on ARC 2018 and didn't hear any chat on the dock at St Lucia about a lot of rudder bearing issues. Ripped sails yes. Rudder bearings not convinced- though a few older boats did have a couple of unrelated failures.
    Plenty of wheel twiddling in 3000 miles quite fast downwind though

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast