Default Shortening GPS antenna cable for Matsutek 33A

Cut the cable intending to solder on the existing plug - only ot find it is crimped, not solderable.

Looking for the right plug to buy, but when I looked in the manual it says DO NOT CUT THE CABLE

Is there a reason for this? Was not aware that GPS antenna are 'tuned' in any way to a specific cable length.

- W
    Last edited by webcraft; 19-05-19 at 20:18.

Default Re: Shortening GPS antenna cable for Matsutek 33A

The instructions for my Furuno say don't cut the cable and the picture is the same as yours! I suspect that they say don't cut as the majority of failures are possibly from a bad joint created by the installer not that I'm an expert ....

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    it says DO NOT CUT THE CABLE

Is there a reason for this?
    Probably just that people who don't know what they're doing might not do a good job of fitting a new plug, and Matsutek (or Furuno who they cribbed their English-language instructions from) don't want to have to deal with the resulting problems.

Trying to desolder and resolder this kind of plug doesn't sound like a great idea though. Fine for an emergency repair, but for a planned job it would be better to buy a new one, they're not expensive.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Probably just that people who don't know what they're doing might not do a good job of fitting a new plug, and Matsutek (or Furuno who they cribbed their English-language instructions from) don't want to have to deal with the resulting problems.

Trying to desolder and resolder this kind of plug doesn't sound like a great idea though. Fine for an emergency repair, but for a planned job it would be better to buy a new one, they're not expensive.

Pete
    I can't find this type of plug anywhere Pete, otherwise I would of course buy a new one. It's like a BNC but it screws on with a thread rather than pushing and twisting. It's only the centre pin that is soldered, so I should be able to unsolder it and resolder it. If anyone can point me to where I can get a new one, or even tell me the name of this type of connector, that would be great.

I had read some stuff about the length of cable being critical . . . some people say it is, but most say it is not. I just wonder why Matsutec are very specific about not shortening the cable. It may, as you say, only because you have to resolder the pin.

- W
    Last edited by webcraft; 19-05-19 at 22:45.

It's probably a TNC - like BNC but threaded for better security. I'd send you one but I think I've only got BNC/TNC adapters to hand. But TBH it's probably easier just to coil up the spare and clip it away somewhere.

If you want one try CPC - low minimum order value for free delivery and I'm sure you'd find something else there to tempt you. Make sure you get one for the right diameter cable. The clamp ones are easier than ones with a crimp ferrule unless you have the right tool - this is one crimp where pliers really won't work.
    allGadgets Marine
    www.allgadgets.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
    It's probably a TNC - like BNC but threaded for better security. I'd send you one but I think I've only got BNC/TNC adapters to hand. But TBH it's probably easier just to coil up the spare and clip it away somewhere.

If you want one try CPC - low minimum order value for free delivery and I'm sure you'd find something else there to tempt you. Make sure you get one for the right diameter cable. The clamp ones are easier than ones with a crimp ferrule unless you have the right tool - this is one crimp where pliers really won't work.
    Thanks Mike, I've ordered a TNC connector on Ebay. It's for skinny (R58?) co-ax

- W