Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Adding anchor warp to existing chain

Quote Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
    Thanks Bob - what diameter chain and rope? Leaning towards 3-strand; I would live with the reduced flexibility in return for hopefully a better journey through the windlass and down
    Sorry, but not on the boat and don't have the sizes to hand but will get them at the weekend.
    Be aware that when we bought the boat it had chain attached to 3-strand. The joint was much bigger than we have with the octoplait and the 3 strand was very stiff itself. Octoplait if very soft/easy to handle/flakes nicely in the locker and the join (at least mine is) thinner but longer but makes the chain less flexible over the length of the join.

I used this splice: https://jimmygreen.com/content/182-a...instructions-2
    Last edited by bobgarrett; 22-05-19 at 08:44. Reason: added info

Octaplait construction is about 20-30% less abrasion resistant than 3-strand when rubbed side-to-side over rocks (I've done side-by-side testing for publication). The stands are more prone to being plucked out and cut. This is true of any relatively loose braid, including Dyneema braids.

Chafe over the bow roller and on relatively smooth surfaces is not as weave dependent.

I wonder if hardened, old, 3 strand nylon has the same abrasion resistance as new nylon?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I wonder if hardened, old, 3 strand nylon has the same abrasion resistance as new nylon?

Jonathan
    Maybe I will test that. But I need to understand the question Do you mean:
    * Old nylon vs. new nylon.
    * Old 3-strand vs. old octaplait.
    * Hard lay 3-strand vs. soft lay 3-strand. I know the answer to this one. Hard lay is MUCH more abrasion resistant, more than double.

Old 3 strand that has become hard, its aged, vs the same cordage bought new and is still soft and flexible. If it is easy - old 3 strand vs old octaplait (though I suspect old octaplait will still be less abrasion resistant) - but I should not guess (nor speculate).

Jonathan

I have a south Pacific windlass and the instructions recommend 3 strand nylon as a lot of octoplait is to soft for the gypsy to grip. My 3 strand is back spliced on to the chain and this goes round the gypsy ok. Problem with 3 strand is that it requires assistance to fall into the locker which does make retrieval slower.

I've got to believe that much of the behavior is dependant on the specific windlass, rope, and locker geometry. Otherwise there would not be so many conflicting posts.

I had a V700 with a combination rode (50 meters chain, balance 3-strand) on my PDQ, and these are the facts:
    * Normally I anchored on the all-chain portion, since anchoring, for me, in the Chesapeake is very, very seldom over 3 meters. However, during anchor testing I often laid out rope when testing at very long scope.
    * The rope recovered faster and mounded less than chain. No problems at all, not ever. No tangles. I did have a large, deep locker.
    * An elongated splice (weave through multiple links, AKA shovel slice in the US) would not wrap around the gypsy. Yes, I plaid with a looser weave.
    * A back splice would jam ~ 40% of the time during recovery. More when new, better as it aged. Yes, I played with a soft splice.
    * A 4-strand splice (AKA irony splice in the US) flies through the windlass.
    * Never tried octaplait. Why would I, if it chafes more easily, which it provably does?

Curiously, others have completely different experiences. Thus, it depends on the geometry. It is also a shame that some have to choose ground tackle (rode and anchor) based on boat design. That's a poor selection basis, but I understand the need.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Thus, it depends on the geometry. It is also a shame that some have to choose ground tackle (rode and anchor) based on boat design. That's a poor selection basis, but I understand the need.
    https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/know-how-ground-tackle

Jonathan

I have a couple of meters on the bitter end of my chain, the splice pass the gypsy on the winch without any problem.
    this is the splice I use https://www.animatedknots.com/chain-splice-knot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234