Default 2001 Caterpillar 3126

Hi,

Im looking at a boat with 2001 Caterpillar 3126s @ 350hp with 1200 hours on a 40ft flybridge.

Can general maintenance be done without Finnings ?

I've read about recalls on early model, is this an early model ?

Also read that water pumps are a bit rubbish, should these have been replaced by now ?

Is there any particular jobs that should be done by 1200 hours ?

What should I look out for in general with these engines ?

thanks
    DW

Default Re: 2001 Caterpillar 3126

I have the 3116 engines in my boat very similar to the 3126 also rated at 350hp.Yes I use a local guy in Plymouth for all my work if I understand correctly you only need Finnings for setting up the rack on the injector pump ? I have recently replaced both raw water pumps = port engine was a real pain but starboard easy. Sherwood pumps replaced by some American make of pump apparently much better cost of pump £500 each.
    Some engine blocks produced in France were faulty- have they all been discovered yet ? I hope so mine are 1999 but it a question I asked too. Rafiki has 3126s in his boat and I'm sure people much better informed than me will be along in a minute.

Ocean Spirit is a 2003 boat which I purchased just over three years ago with around 400 hours on her 3126B engines. The hour meter now reads 1285 hours. She had a rather patchy service history so I had the coolers removed and cleaned but otherwise she has just had routine servicing since. This has been carried out by competent engineers but none by Finnings, whose prices I consider exorbitant. If I need anything done with the electronic side of the engines I will probably have to use Finnings as they have the necessary computer interfaces.

Aside from routine servicing, I have only needed to replace the exhaust lagging although the Sherwood pumps are, indeed, suspect and are kept under review.

So far so good. Hope I am not tempting the Gods.

Many thanks both - sounds relatively pain free

I have 3126’s in my Azi 39. Much of the maintenance I do myself, and I have used SoS Boat Services when I was in Portishead, and Tompa now I am on the Hamble for more difficult stuff. As far as I am aware Finnings must do the valve shimming every 250 hours due to special kit, unless others know better? The Sherwood pumps are rubbish, with the seals a weak spot due to the high moment caused by the impeller. You have to remove the pump from the engine to change the impeller, and I do mine every 3 years. Old ones come out like new, but I feel better for replacing. Was not aware of an alternative to the Sherwood, so would be interested in finding out more. I had an alternator regulator fail on the stbd engine, I think due to a spike from the shorepower. Best to disconnect before cranking there are 10 finger anodes in the cooling system. Not hard to lace, but you need to know where they are. I replaced mine 4 seasons ago, and they are still ok.

If they are the same as the Cummins 6bta pump as in a Sherwood 1730 then DJ pumps make a very good replacement. They are now a little more pricey than the Sherwood (Sherwood have realised how offer they fail!) but are a quality unit with 3 bearings larger shaft and better seals plus a splined shaft. I get them from a place in NZ but that won't help you guys I'm sure you have a DJ pumps dealer in the UK...

The Sherwooda seals fail quickly, and eventually the shafts shear leaving the drive gear bouncing around the engine timing gear...

Steve