Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New stove, not swinging fleely on new gimbals.

Replaced the rusty old uno stove on my boat with a Bainbridge Neptune 4500 stove with new gimbals. the original stove was wider with a different swinging mechanism. there are steel plates either side of the stove which i have mounted the bainbridge gimbals onto. as the Neptune is more narrow than the original i had a friend 3D print some spacers for each side and bolted the gimbals to the metal sheets with the spacers in the middle. The steel sheeds are screwed into the wood. I also had to cut a hole behind the stove so the fixed gas pipe on the back of the stove can swing more (even though its not swinging freely still). Should the bainbridge gimbals be flexed to put the stove onto or should they be parallel to the stove gimbal mounts? its getting very frustrating. its a bad design on the flimsy bainbridge gimbals imho and they cost £80 alone for bits of metal.

thanks

2Ye4JuE.jpg

EjYrVxa.jpg

MxqI5cg.jpg
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

Default Re: New stove, not swinging fleely on new gimbals.

What model and age was your old cooker? If it has a oven I might be interested in taking off your hands.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Surely that is catching on some obstruction, although i can't see what from the photos? Is it the hexagon bolt heads?
    I'd consider giving more side clearance by reducing the thickness of the spacer blocks and putting a ompensating permanent set in the upper part of the gimbals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    What model and age was your old cooker? If it has a oven I might be interested in taking off your hands.
    as mentioned in original post it was an uno stove!

I think the most likely cause is that it has been made a too tight fit and the gambles are compressed increasing the friction.

It looks to me as if each arm of the gimbal attached to the stove is too close to the relevant arm attached to the cabinet, resulting in the attachment screws fouling the other arm as it passes - i.e the spacers are too thick.

Try a couple of pieces of wood as temporary spacers. I can't see well from the photos, but I'd guess about 50% of current thickness of spacers.

You need more than a few mm gap between the two arms (and their hardware), as they will flex, particular when the boat is underway.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 21-05-19 at 15:51.

It seemed that the back was catching as well. All you can do is swing it until it catches and then hold it in that position and see what is touching / hitting what.

+1 are you sure the back left hand is not catching on your cut out? Early in your video it looks like it catches on the bottom and then again on the top. Not sure if it’s the gas connection, You could move the gambles forward a little bit to clear

if i move the gimbals forward then the cabin door is hitting the stove

the pipe behind the stove has enough room. maybe i do need smaller spacers on the gimbals. i just couldnt find any information to say if the gimbals have to be flexed to mount the stove onto instead of perpendicular

In that case it must be catching the mounting screws of the gimbal sets, I would just fit a wooden spacer to one side temporarily to see if the problem goes away, you would have thought be able 5o see down the side to see what is catching, it’s definitely sounds metal to metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast