Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue tits in the boom

We've got blue tits living in the boom.

New boat (to us) last year. Came with Z-Spars in mast reefing. Arrived at the boat to do some work and noticed some strong bird interest. After a while they got used to us and started flying straight in and out of the boom end, obviously feeding chicks.

Hauled out in 'derelict's row', at the back of the yard near the trees, it must have been a prime location for feathered house hunters (not that we're derelects just planned for a late launch).

Guess we'll sit it out and delay launching and wait for the young to fly the nest, when it will be abandoned.

Kind of sweet. Kind of a pain in the arse.

Beware!

Default Re: Blue tits in the boom

Quote Originally Posted by RogerJolly View Post
    We've got blue tits living in the boom.

New boat (to us) last year. Came with Z-Spars in mast reefing. Arrived at the boat to do some work and noticed some strong bird interest. After a while they got used to us and started flying straight in and out of the boom end, obviously feeding chicks.

Hauled out in 'derelict's row', at the back of the yard near the trees, it must have been a prime location for feathered house hunters (not that we're derelects just planned for a late launch).

Guess we'll sit it out and delay launching and wait for the young to fly the nest, when it will be abandoned.

Kind of sweet. Kind of a pain in the arse.

Beware!
    well done for waiting it out. shouldn't be long but an obvious PITA.

There is a Hillyard in Yarmouth that gets a nest in their boom every year... but the boat gets little use so they have chosen well.

Legally, you cannot touch the nest or disturb the birds while the nest is active. (Wildlife and Countryside Act)

To prevent a second nesting, you must keep a watch and as soon as the young birds are fledged, make it impossible for the tits to make a second nest and clutch of eggs.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

I had a blue tit nest in my Z-Spars boom as well.

It's really difficult to be a mast builder in this country at the moment what with very little boatbuilding left, so perhaps Z-Spars should diversify into birdboxes using a cut-off length of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Legally, you cannot touch the nest or disturb the birds while the nest is active. (Wildlife and Countryside Act)

To prevent a second nesting, you must keep a watch and as soon as the young birds are fledged, make it impossible for the tits to make a second nest and clutch of eggs.
    It is very rare for blue-tits to have a second brood, unlike, say, robins. And most birds will choose a different site anyway, to abandon the parasites that probably accumulated...

Mike.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Next door boat to us in Preveza had this. We now use a piece of sponge to block access to the end of the boom.

Didn't realise it was that cold.

I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Didn't realise it was that cold.

I'll get my coat.
    Could be the effect of the woad?

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Next door boat to us in Preveza had this. We now use a piece of sponge to block access to the end of the boom.
    I think that this is a common problem there. We saw many flying in and out of booms or sail covers. I thought about using foam but it looked fiddly as there are so many small gaps in our Selden boom.

I wrapped each end of ours with a couple of turns of cling film and put a turn of Duct tape one either end of the cling film. This worked a treat and birds haven't invaded the boom, though every nearby boat seemed to have a nest. It's easy to cut the Duct tape and remove the cling film in spring. No sticky residue on the boom as the tape is on the cling film. The cling film would probably be OK without any tape at either end but some brands aren't particularly clingy.

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Photos please. Or better still video. You never know, you may be able to sell it to the networks and buy a new in-mast fuller on the proceeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast