Thread: Gibraltar taxes

Default Gibraltar taxes

Is there an import tax on bringing goods into Gibraltar from the UK?

I didn't think there was, as there is nothing the other way around, but recently went to buy something on eBay and found they wanted to charge an extra £16 or so for import duties.

Default Re: Gibraltar taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Is there an import tax on bringing goods into Gibraltar from the UK?

I didn't think there was, as there is nothing the other way around, but recently went to buy something on eBay and found they wanted to charge an extra £16 or so for import duties.
    IIRC about 10% but think there's a way of getting around it for boats in transit which are actually present in marinas.

Ah ok that would be it then.

I'm just passing through, so I will actually be a yacht in transit.

I presume I just have to put Yacht in Transit on the package, then fill out a few forms at the Royal Gib Post Office. Though in this case it would be more trouble than it's worth for such a small amount.

Perhaps I'll wait and try to send to Portugal instead.
    Last edited by Mikedefieslife; 21-05-19 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Ah ok that would be it then.

I'm just passing through, so I will actually be a yacht in transit.

I presume I just have to put Yacht in Transit on the package, then fill out a few forms at the Royal Gib Post Office. Though in this case it would be more trouble than it's worth for such a small amount.

Perhaps I'll wait and try to send to Portugal instead.
    I think it entails a trip to customs but not sure. Portugal is easy, just find an address such as Clube Naval at Faro - gcnavalfaro.pt

If something large, many of us use Algarve Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    I think it entails a trip to customs but not sure. Portugal is easy, just find an address such as Clube Naval at Faro - gcnavalfaro.pt
    If something large, many of us use Algarve Express.
    I was in Gib for 6 years and imported a few expensive items under Yacht in Transit.. All a bit of a pain. You have to go to the customs office at the frontier. Fill in forms establishing you are not a Gib resident. (i was not a Gib resident) and on one occasion the customs official insisted I use an agent located on the ground floor. There are several and all charge differently. Can´t remember what I paid but it more or less wiped out the advantage of importing yacht in transit.

Normally you import from say the UK vat free to Gib. On arrival of the item in Gib you go to the post office opposite the chandlers HireU - present passport and ships papers then pay 10% import duty... (thus saving 10%) The invoice must be attached to the item and not sent separately.

Even if you pay VAT in the country of origin - eg UK - you still pay 10% import duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Devil View Post
    I was in Gib for 6 years and imported a few expensive items under Yacht in Transit.. All a bit of a pain. You have to go to the customs office at the frontier. Fill in forms establishing you are not a Gib resident. (i was not a Gib resident) and on one occasion the customs official insisted I use an agent located on the ground floor. There are several and all charge differently. Can´t remember what I paid but it more or less wiped out the advantage of importing yacht in transit.

Normally you import from say the UK vat free to Gib. On arrival of the item in Gib you go to the post office opposite the chandlers HireU - present passport and ships papers then pay 10% import duty... (thus saving 10%) The invoice must be attached to the item and not sent separately.

Even if you pay VAT in the country of origin - eg UK - you still pay 10% import duty.
    In addition to paying the agents fee, the shipper had sent the items (two custom water tanks from TekTanks) to the agent, shipping fees are slightly higher for Gib and transport less frequent. All in it was several days slower and a bit more expensive to send about £2k's worth of goods to Gib rather than shipping direct to La Linea
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed