Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rigging for spinnaker

Can anyone recommend a good resource for rigging/ retrofitting a 30 or so yacht for a spinnaker?

Im doing a feasibility study on whether it would be worth putting on a simple spinnaker system into the old tub. Simple for cruising short handed and low cost for the budget.

Currently the boat has very little to speak of that I could use: a single halyard up front, no mast fittings/ attachments, no downhaul/ uphaul, but it has two midships blocks.

As I see it, Id have to:
    Fit uphaul and downhaul lines and fittings
    Rig a masthead halyard (or use jib one)
    Spinnaker to mast fitting
    Run lines aft.

Im not sure about line sizes or what sort of blocks Id need, since this would be starting from scratch.

Thx!
    Last edited by armchairsailor; 21-05-19 at 16:38.

Default Re: Rigging for spinnaker

Simplest way is to go and have a look at a similar sized and rigged cruiser/racer when rigged for racing and see what they've got..

Selden do a spinnaker info pdf. You can find it on their web-site. I found it very useful when I spinnakerised my own boat!

Do you definitely want a full on spinnaker , i have recently converted to using our spinnaker with an atn tacker (checkout youtube ) making a lot of the gear unnecessary . if you do go down the spinnaker route i have my old pole which could be very cheap off my 27 footer .

I use a ordinary spinnaker a lot but if starting from scratch as you describe I would go for a bow sprit and gennaker style not needing a pole. You will need a halyard up above the forestay. ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    I use a ordinary spinnaker a lot but if starting from scratch as you describe I would go for a bow sprit and gennaker style not needing a pole. You will need a halyard up above the forestay. ol'will
    The reason I'm thinking about it is because of finding a cheap chute and pole nearby that's for my type of boat: getting a gennaker sounds like an expensive way to go. Also fitting a bowsprit to a 45 year old cruiser might appear a little incongruous. Bit like fitting a spoiler to a fiesta...

You can't really use the jib halyard for a spinnaker as it will foul/chafe on the forestay. The spinnaker halyard exits the mast at almost 90 deg or horizontal when the kite is full so you need the halyard to be above the forestay. For ease of installation you can run the halyard outside the mast, and just have a block and swivel mounted on the top plate of the mast that will sit comfortably at an angle of 45 deg. The halyard can then be secured in a jam cleat on the mast, or fig 8 on a small cleat.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

The most important thing to get right would be the position of the ring on the mast (unless you are willing to fit a track). You really need to know where other boats with the same rig and spinnaker have theirs.

Conventionally on yachts the downhaul runs to a point on deck forward of the mast (hence the term foreguy) but for simplicity with a small spinnaker you might get away with running it to the base of the mast as per most (all?) dinghies. This would avoid the need to find a strongpoint on the foredeck. Obviously both the uphaul and downhaul would need cleats of some form, or you could lead them aft to spare clutches. If cleating at the mast the uphaul & downhaul could be a continuous loop. NB in marginal conditions the downhaul is an important sail control.

The halyard can be external so quite easy if you have suitable attachments on the masthead casting, so long as you have turning blocks and a clutch available for it.

Just to add to the above. I had for a long time a fixed topping lift (uphaul) for my pole. So just a rope from the mast around midway. (baby stay fitting). Not ideal but worked OK. The advantage that you attach the pole then use it to take the pole weight while gybing or attaching. I don't think the location of the snotter (ring for attaching pole to mast) is critical. Perhaps around 1 m above the mast base. For down haul for pole I and most people around here use a line with a ring or sheave on the end through which the brace runs. This line goes to a sheave mounted on the toe rail about half way from mast to bow. The line goes back to a cleat. So is tightened when the sheet becomes a brace.
    This is not perfect but is a good compromise. If it is further forward it has more down ward power for shy runs but restricts how far back the pole can go when running square. The down haul from the bottom of the mast needs some purchase because the loads can be huge when shy. I found that system even on my little boat too difficult to control the pole. Most important is to just get out there and try it all in light winds first. ol'will

Thank you all: this is great food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast