Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anderson connectors - can I standardise on board ?

I seem to spend a lot of time in my 12v world connecting and disconnecting chargers, solar panels, regulators, spare batteries, car second batteries, tractors, fencer units, etc.

Most of the time I am mean and make cable end crimps to small, medium even up to 60mmsq cables with the help of DIY copper terminals and heat shrink. These require battery terminals with a 6 or 8mm post and lots of doing and undoing of the retaining nut. Tedious and it means Hunt The Spanner games.

Through an RNLI friend, I have been introduced to Anderson connectors, mainly the 50 and 175Amp ones.

I must admit to being impressed by the ease of joining cable into the connectors, and also by the fact of not having bare, live terminals or croc clips lying around waiting to earth themselves on something expensive.

What is the forum's opinion on standardising on, say, the 50 amp Anderson connectors, and having all wander leads , chargers, panels, regulators etc, terminate in these devices ? I can't think of anything on board which puts out or uses more than 50A, apart from the alternator.

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/an...ctors-62-c.asp
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: Anderson connectors - can I standardise on board ?

Look interesting but care will have to be taken to ensure consistent polarity wiring as they appear to be genderless.
    Quote:- ANDERSON CONNECTORS
    Important note:- Andersons are neither male or female, they are genderless.

I have used them greatly in fitting out a load of farm machinery. Also sill occasionally use them in HGV recovery. Very handy, I've considered using them on a few work boats that I do work on, especially for emergency starting points.
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

I use the 50amp ones for the trolling motor battery. They are easy to use and provided you get the connection correct when first assembling them are almost fool proof.
    A little bit of grease on the contacts make it easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    What is the forum's opinion on standardising on, say, the 50 amp Anderson connectors, and having all wander leads , chargers, panels, regulators etc, terminate in these devices ?
    How often do you need to disconnect your charger, regulator, panel, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Look interesting but care will have to be taken to ensure consistent polarity wiring as they appear to be genderless.
    Quote:- ANDERSON CONNECTORS
    Important note:- Andersons are neither male or female, they are genderless.
    Yes, but each pair only connect one way round. Picture two hermaphodites having sex, if that helps.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I seem to spend a lot of time in my 12v world connecting and disconnecting chargers, solar panels, regulators, spare batteries, car second batteries, tractors, fencer units, etc.

Most of the time I am mean and make cable end crimps to small, medium even up to 60mmsq cables with the help of DIY copper terminals and heat shrink. These require battery terminals with a 6 or 8mm post and lots of doing and undoing of the retaining nut. Tedious and it means Hunt The Spanner games.

Through an RNLI friend, I have been introduced to Anderson connectors, mainly the 50 and 175Amp ones.

I must admit to being impressed by the ease of joining cable into the connectors, and also by the fact of not having bare, live terminals or croc clips lying around waiting to earth themselves on something expensive.

What is the forum's opinion on standardising on, say, the 50 amp Anderson connectors, and having all wander leads , chargers, panels, regulators etc, terminate in these devices ? I can't think of anything on board which puts out or uses more than 50A, apart from the alternator.

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/an...ctors-62-c.asp
    They are good. I use the 50A ones for plugging in items i only use occasionally such as my inflatable pump and a fuel transfer pump. I have also seen them used to plug in a battery charger to one mounted on the front of an emergency response vehicle. They are not waterproof but they can be used outside and are certainly very resistant to having salt water thrown at them.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I have standardized on the all over my sail boat and my mobo.

This allows me to swap batteries and recharge batteries for use on trolling motors on different dinghies use on a hookah diving set. It also allows me to use fuel pumps, bilge pumps battery chargers and solar panels on different batteries in different locations.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Yes, but each pair only connect one way round. Picture two hermaphodites having sex, if that helps.
    And If you standardize on installation, all consumers same way and all sources the other way.
    I have on my charger so I can disconnect from the fixed charging cables and attach clamps for use on other batteries.

They are commonly used on HGVs to power tail lifts.
    However if covered in salt water, dont forget chlorine gas could be given off by electrolysis.

I have known one catch fire that was mounted in a wet road salty position on an articulated unit.
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast