Default Exciting alternator problem

Not as exciting as the title suggests but I have a problem activating the alternators on a boat I'm skippering. Ignition on, battery lamp on, two exciter wires to -side of lamp but even with revs they won't wake up. I can wake them up by touching a wire from my starter+ to the exciters and they both come straight on but it's getting a little tiresome remembering to go down after starting the engine. It was working previously also. Have changed connectors at both ends of lamp to exciters and I have 0.32A current. Have tried with a 15w bulb in series to the panel lamp and it won't light up suggesting not enough potential difference but my diodes (1 for each alternator) flash on for a split second.
    I'm running out of ideas now so open to suggestions.

Default Re: Exciting alternator problem

Sorry I can't help you but I am about to wire up my alternator for the first time so I am trying to familiarze myself in case of problems. Are any of these links helpful?

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou...30.8_zIUvhtgu0

I changed an alternator bulb recently for an LED equivalent and that didn't work because the current generated by the LED was too low.

It sounds as if you have the same problem with too low a current passing through the exciter circuit. Perhaps it could be a poor connection or perhaps worn slip rings/brushes on the alternator itself?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I changed an alternator bulb recently for an LED equivalent and that didn't work because the current generated by the LED was too low.

It sounds as if you have the same problem with too low a current passing through the exciter circuit. Perhaps it could be a poor connection or perhaps worn slip rings/brushes on the alternator itself?

Richard
    A 50 ohm resistor in parallel with the LED will probably do the trick .

The brushes may be worn down and touching the rings only lightly/intermittently. They are not too expensive but can a bitch of a job to change on some alternators...