Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Handheld VHF

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    38

    Default Handheld VHF

    Hello

    Looking to get a Handheld VHF. looking for cheap options. Usage will be from boat to marina

    what are peoples thoughts?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    If it's to be used in the grab bag as well, get one which will take an AA or AAA batteries, such as this Cobra - https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...f-marine-radio

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    35,507

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Standard Horizon HX300E - waterproof, floats, 3-year warranty, only a hundred quid - https://jgtech.com/Communications/Ha...on-HX300E.html

    The cheaper Cobra isn't truly waterproof, and has older NiMH battery technology, whereas the Standard Horizon has a Lithium-Ion battery.
    Last edited by pvb; 21-05-19 at 19:17.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    11,532

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    And at the cheap end of town, ie Chinese I have one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-UV-5R-...cAAOSwFD1c12L7
    The radio works fine but is not water proof. Presumably not approved You have to program it for the marine channels you want. So just put in the channels you want under the channel number in the radio. All a bit tedious. But crazy priced as an addendum to the main real VHF radio. ol'will

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Standard Horizon HX300E - waterproof, floats, 3-year warranty, only a hundred quid - https://jgtech.com/Communications/Ha...on-HX300E.html

    The cheaper Cobra isn't truly waterproof, and has older NiMH battery technology, whereas the Standard Horizon has a Lithium-Ion battery.
    The slightly more expensive Cobras HH300/325/350 models are fairly good: I have two, older HH300 and newer HH325. Both have manual squelch controls, which I prefer to the digital squelch on many modern radios. Don't buy the £69 cheapo Cobra. Lower power, and I think no M1/M2 channels. But if buying now it would probably be a Standard Horizon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Look at the Cobra HH500, fully waterproof, floats with own battery, extra holder for AAA batteries and has blue tooth connection so you can answer mobile phone calls on your radio. Keeps your mobile safe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    3,308

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    PM sent

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    And at the cheap end of town, ie Chinese I have one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-UV-5R-...cAAOSwFD1c12L7
    The radio works fine but is not water proof. Presumably not approved You have to program it for the marine channels you want. So just put in the channels you want under the channel number in the radio. All a bit tedious. But crazy priced as an addendum to the main real VHF radio. ol'will
    +1 if you like or don't mind tinkering.... Couple it up with a £2.99 waterproof case (mine floats with it on). Also useful for those unprogrammed channels (eg ch31 which is used abroad but not here in the UK) as you can add them yourself.
    Last edited by Sea_Spray; 22-05-19 at 11:03. Reason: spelling
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home: North West, Boat: The Clyde
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    And at the cheap end of town, ie Chinese I have one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-UV-5R-...cAAOSwFD1c12L7
    The radio works fine but is not water proof. Presumably not approved You have to program it for the marine channels you want. So just put in the channels you want under the channel number in the radio. All a bit tedious. But crazy priced as an addendum to the main real VHF radio. ol'will
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    +1 if you like or don't mind tinkering.... Couple it up with a £2.99 waterproof case (mine floats with it on). Also useful for those unprogrammed channels (eg ch31 which is used abroad but not here in the UK) as you can add them yourself.
    That’s an incredible price! I’ve just bought one from an eBay UK supplier for less than £20. It has a very good “feel” about it, doesn’t seem “cheap” at all.

    It can transmit on both 2m and 70cm Amateur bands as well as marine.

    Search Google and download free software to help with programming. You’ll also need a dedicated lead plus its software to do this. Still waiting for my lead so haven’t got that far yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.
    Posts
    8,734

    Default Re: Handheld VHF

    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    And at the cheap end of town, ie Chinese I have one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-UV-5R-...cAAOSwFD1c12L7
    The radio works fine but is not water proof. Presumably not approved You have to program it for the marine channels you want. So just put in the channels you want under the channel number in the radio. All a bit tedious. But crazy priced as an addendum to the main real VHF radio. ol'will
    That's an incredable price. I would not want that as my only VHF but as an additional one for crew to crew etc handy at that price.

    I have an old Icom PMR radio that I have re programmed for the marine channels. Tedious but once set up it works. Even more tedious is the even older one I have programmed by soldering diodes on a matrix board.

    Of course programmable ones can have "unusual" channels like channel 0. And if you have a ham licence you can have your 2M / 70cm / Marine handheld all in one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to