Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rethreading a spinnaker halyard?

Managed to let my halyard right through the pulley block at the mast head last weekend.
    I can't think of any easy way to re-thread it without going up the mast, but someone might have thought of a way?
    Any bright but practical suggestions? Stop at a high bridge?
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizer and anchor manufacturer.

Default Re: Rethreading a spinnaker halyard?

Normally when I've seen it done, the boat has been put up against a sea wall and a cherry picker used to get to the top of the mast at low tide.

Up the mast and thread a light mousing line with a few inches of bicycle chain on the end through the sheave. Hook it out through the fairlead exit in the mast when it reaches the bottom. Pull halyard back through and into place. My experience is that it’s usually much more straightforward than you anticipate it’s going to be. (Not always, so no guarantees.)
    Semper aliud

Instead of bicycle chain, I've used that chromed 'balls on a string' nonsense they issue security badges on? Or a few dozen M4 nuts threaded on the mouse line.
    It can help to heel the boat, so the 'mouse' slides down the inside wall of the mast, rather than wrapping around other halyards.
    I normally set all the other halyards really tight to keep them out of the way, but I think it pays to check the halyards are all really free and not rubbing on one another.

Sorry Geoff but I think you (or someone) have to get up there, somehow, to do it. Seawall at low tide, depends on height of tides, low bridge, a very large vessel. If you have no-one to hoist you up, mast climber (tape/rope ladder type thing), rock climbing ascenders, prussic knots (which I don't find very easy). A teenager has less fear of heights (as they know they are going to live forever).

Send me a ticket and I'll come over - I can fit it in over the next week or so and it should be easily done in an hour. I'd go for the bicycle chain, or fishing lead weights strung together, or variant and mouse line plus someone with a hook at the bottom (to catch the mouse line). Make sure the 'weight' can exit at the bottom, make sure they are small enough and tighten all the other halyards - easy

Jonathan

Hardest bit is going up the mast. The rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Instead of bicycle chain, I've used that chromed 'balls on a string' nonsense they issue security badges on? Or a few dozen M4 nuts threaded on the mouse line.
    It can help to heel the boat, so the 'mouse' slides down the inside wall of the mast, rather than wrapping around other halyards.
    I normally set all the other halyards really tight to keep them out of the way, but I think it pays to check the halyards are all really free and not rubbing on one another.
    All agreed 100%. I forgot to mention bracing up the other halyards. And I too have used a row of tiny s/s nuts from the spares box instead of a bit of chain as a weight.
    Semper aliud

I should have explained that this is an external pulley block, not a halyard through the mast over a sheave block.
    It's an easy job if it can be reached. I'm just looking for a lazy way to reach it!

I have a few days to find a lightweight volunteer before leaving for the Faroe Islands.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizer and anchor manufacturer.

Drop anchors from bow and stern (anchor type is open for discussion), attach any remaining halyard to a 3rd anchor, winch halyard, walk up mast when it is sufficiently horizontal? Or borrow Marisca's mast ladder - if I can get to the mast top, anyone can - but watch out for that ferry wash.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Drop anchors from bow and stern (anchor type is open for discussion), attach any remaining halyard to a 3rd anchor, winch halyard, walk up mast when it is sufficiently horizontal? Or borrow Marisca's mast ladder - if I can get to the mast top, anyone can - but watch out for that ferry wash.
    Alternatively, if in a marina. Attach main halyard to the neighbouring pontoon and keep winching until nearly horizontal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast