Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass 27

Default Cutlass 27

Hello! I've read with interest threads (not many sadly) on the Macron Cutlass 27. I was wondering if anyone could help - I'm close to buying my first boat, a Cutlass 27. I don't have much experience sailing but have made my mind up with this. I just fell in love with it.

Can anyone tell me where would be a good place to source parts and accessories, as I cant seem to find much information on it and worried it may be a bit of a bugger looking after her?... Any suggestions would be very welcome. Luke

Default Re: Cutlass 27

Get the present owner to take you out for a sail and find a deep water mooring and spend time sailing this coming summer and make a list of stuff that needs fixing this autumn,your bound to run into fellow owners lots of Marcon boats about,just don’t go spending oodles of cash in the chandlery until you know what you want

It is worth making your number with Zoidberg who is restoring a Cutlass 27. I guess he knows more about the parts and components than anyone else.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Hello. Where are you. Can I help...?

There is not much hardware/fittings on an older yacht that was actually made by the builder specifically for that model. It's not like an old car where you really need a bumper for a 1965 Ford, and one from a 2019 Ford won't fit. Most yacht hardware is moderately easily replaceable with newer if you really have to.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

First, go to the bank and arrange for frequent supplies of £50 notes.
    Second,dig a big hole in the sea
    Third, pour the first into the second...………

That's the way to go if you want everything perfect, original and as good as the boat was when it came out of the builders. but it leads directly to the fourth action, which is:-
    To arrange at the Bank for a larger overdraft!

But do as Wansworth says, think what you do/will need, not might need or think would look good.
    Shop around, especially the internet, boatyards and forums.
    Ask on YBW; I am amazed and extremely grateful for all the advice, encouragement and camaraderie I have received here since 2010

Chandlers are very useful and attractive but can seriously damage your pocket.

Safety is the first priority,
    Reliability is the second.
    Looks, comfort, gizmos, nik-naks come a fair-way third.

Finally, after a few years of sorting-out your boat, repairing, replacing and upgrading - DO NOT total up everything you have spent on her as the shock may kill you!
    Don't ask me how I know this...………..

Have fun, enjoy the work as well as the sailing. Keep safe.

P.S. Lovely looking craft, not unlike my Javelin30 also built by Marcon. Tough, exciting, reliable.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Get the present owner to take you out for a sail and find a deep water mooring and spend time sailing this coming summer and make a list of stuff that needs fixing this autumn,your bound to run into fellow owners lots of Marcon boats about,just don’t go spending oodles of cash in the chandlery until you know what you want

THIS!

When buying a boat, you cant spend your whole budget on the boat itself. You will need to keep a portion back for upgrades & servicing. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of a new boat and blow this whole portion of your budget on trinkets but then soon find that the boat needs £XXX spent on something critical and the trinkets don't really work as planned anyway.

Been there, done that...

It is worth looking on the Sabre 27 owners association forum, there is a mine of useful info on repairs, rebuilds & upgrades, same builder (Marcon) & similar boat with a lot of things in common.

Very good advice. Be particularly careful with the engine. A replacement could cost you much more than you paid for the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    THIS!

When buying a boat, you cant spend your whole budget on the boat itself. You will need to keep a portion back for upgrades & servicing. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of a new boat and blow this whole portion of your budget on trinkets but then soon find that the boat needs £XXX spent on something critical and the trinkets don't really work as planned anyway.

Been there, done that...
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Lin View Post
    Very good advice. Be particularly careful with the engine. A replacement could cost you much more than you paid for the boat.
    You betcha!

Then there's rigging.... and sails.... and through-hulls.... and bilge pump(s)..... and batteries.... and.... and....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast