Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Options for Gas BBQ on a Sail boat what do you use???

Just wondering what options or what do people use to have a Gas BBQ on a Sail boat

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Default Re: Options for Gas BBQ on a Sail boat what do you use???

Not gas but use a Cobb bbq. Uses own brand easy light charcoal, ready in minutes and the casing stays cool so you can use it anywhere.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Cheap lava rocks type. Very quick and easy to start cooking and pack away afterwards. Food taste indistinguishable from charcoal barbecue.

Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I'd quite like a BBQ, the proper charcoal/real fire type ..... but how do you avoid ash and burning bits getting blown onto the sails, bimini, sprayhood etc. and burning holes in them?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

+1 for a Cobb, but cleaning it after can be a pain sometimes.

The problem I have with "real" BBQs is that most of the time there are just two of us on the boat and lighting up a charcoal BBQ is just too much effort when all we would want to do is to cook three or four sausages or a couple of burgers. It's also quite wasteful - you can't light a BBQ on three pieces of charcoal and most of the fuel we would be putting in would just end up being dropped overboard when we have finished cooking.

I have been wondering about getting a gas BBQ - more as a way of getting the cooking out of the galley than for the flavour. Having seen a few slightly older boats where the owners have fried quite a lot in the galley, I really don't want the oil and fumes in the air getting onto our nice new roof and wall linings.

Baggywrinkle and maby highlight the reasons we stopped using charcoal. On several occasions we needed to move the boat after lighting it, due to weather and some other reasons, which was highly inconvenient. The coals remained hot for several hours when cooking was finished, hazardous and sometimes fraught with difficulty. Nobody wants to tip ash in the sea but the alternative is to wait hours for it to cool before tipping it into a metal container.

The lava rocks gas type is great for us, especially in Greece where we try to keep galley and saloon as cool as possible. It makes no difference if it is for a full blown meal or just a snack. 5 minutes after cooking it can be in its bag stowed away.

Anyone made one?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Anyone made one?
    Been thinking about that for a while. I had a simple gas one, not unlike the Kampa one above. Worked very well, until the burner rotted. But,heh, only £13..
    I have a folder, so a stainless casing is easy, as are the grills for the stones and food. The burner could be a couple of tubes with holes down each side. Might take a bit of fiddling to get the air mix right.
    The hassle of charcoal tends to put one off after a long day. The gas was simple.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Been thinking about that for a while. I had a simple gas one, not unlike the Kampa one above. Worked very well, until the burner rotted. But,heh, only £13.
    Yes, the burner doesn't survive well. This year I will remove it at end of season, grease it and wrap in polythene.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast