Default Standard of speech by CG for weather report

Im getting boat ready and part of that is to listen to ch16 checks receive on VHF and gets me up to speed on listening for important broadcasts, my local is Falmouth and usually have people on the mike who know how to project but today was a woman whos voice was very quiet and timid,I found it nearly impossible to hear her and I am ashore without wind or engine, might be sensible to teach the officers to speak up. This is not a complaint for fun, I am a fan of the officers just think enunciation should be part of the course for such an important job. Dont want to do the formal and ring them up just hope these pages are read by professionals rather than hoi polloi like me boss.

Keith
    tonight I am going to think up a new foot note

Default Re: Standard of speech by CG for weather report

For goodness sake ring them up, they will have no idea that you struggled with their transmission if you don't.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    For goodness sake ring them up, they will have no idea that you struggled with their transmission if you don't.
    I've never encountered this problem, but was rather entertained on one trip by an Irish CG announcer on the south coast, who clearly should have gone in for a career in the broadcasting world!
    My strategy with CG weather broadcasts is to record them on my phone so that I can listen back and not miss any detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    I've never encountered this problem, but was rather entertained on one trip by an Irish CG announcer on the south coast, who clearly should have gone in for a career in the broadcasting world!
    My strategy with CG weather broadcasts is to record them on my phone so that I can listen back and not miss any detail.
    I quite enjoy listening to the broadcasts.

All nicely backed up with an email send to the smartphone. from Frank's saildocs website.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Here they sound about 14 years old. Some are very good others not so...listened to one last year we were pretty sure was. a test of an automated system as had an echo stutter.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey View Post
    I’m getting boat ready and part of that is to listen to ch16 checks receive on VHF and gets me up to speed on listening for important broadcasts, my local is Falmouth and usually have people on the mike who know how to project but today was a woman who’s voice was very quiet and timid,I found it nearly impossible to hear her and I am ashore without wind or engine, might be sensible to teach the officers to speak up. This is not a complaint for fun, I am a fan of the officers just think enunciation should be part of the course for such an important job. Don’t want to do the formal and ring them up just hope these pages are read by professionals rather than hoi polloi like me boss.

Keith
    Occasionally have similar problem off the Kent Coast. No idea if geography/weather is also a factor at the time, or if it is purely vocal volume. Perhaps wind farms also affect it?

Spoke to CG at SIBS about this issue, and they also were keen for you to let them know the relevant information ie. time/channel/position.

If you are at sea then you may well want to call them on 16 at the time and ask them to repeat the relevant information to you.

No idea if installing a better antenna would improve volume?

Can't you just turn the volume up or get a hearing aid? (Like me)

I frequently ring the coastguard when forecasts have not been delivered clearly or not at all. Often it is a fault somewhere as to cover all transmitters in their are they link using phone wires from HQ to the remote transmitter and their fault indicators do not always register faults.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.