Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Former Ostar goes to Brest

The buyer of the ex-Ostar rights, also named The Transat, said the 2020 edition will most likely start from Brest.

https://www.thetransat.com/
    https://www.thetransat.com/
    Last edited by Roberto; 22-05-19 at 18:29.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Former Ostar goes to Brest

Shame,considering it’s historically linkedwithPlymouth .......oh wee another one bites the dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Shame,considering it’s historically linkedwithPlymouth .......oh wee another one bites the dust!
    Not bites the dust, just moved. No-one does offshore short-handed sailing like the French ...

Yes but it was the quirky Brits who started it,undoubtably the French took sailing into their national psyche where the Brits in the main thing all yachtsmen are rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Yes but it was the quirky Brits who started it,undoubtably the French took sailing into their national psyche where the Brits in the main thing all yachtsmen are rich!
    Well since we moved to France permanently, I joined the local YC.
    Two things I have noticed.

1. flag etiquette is not a big thing - whatever...
    2. neither is 'dress code' important - it's about having a good time with people sharing the same interest. Come as you are.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post

2. neither is 'dress code' important - it's about having a good time with people sharing the same interest. Come as you are.
    I do have to say that this thread depressed the hell out of me

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=Burgee

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Not bites the dust, just moved. No-one does offshore short-handed sailing like the French ...
    Agreed one time we in Cherbourg & Le Harvre the Figaro fleets were in, they are all crazy sailors

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post

Is that any different to the UK? Not in my experience and that includes membership of one of the oldest Royals.

I dont know why sailing clicked with the French public more than it did with the UK but thats certainly the case and for that reason there is way more corporate sponsorship in France. Maybe French companies are more patriotics and less likely to view sponsorship as simply another deduction from the P&L.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    The buyer of the ex-Ostar rights, also named The Transat, said the 2020 edition will most likely start from Brest.

I recall there was a warning to this effect, and post about it, during the 2004 race.
    I remember it distinctly because I visited the pre-start in the marina and was cross about it.
    I have dug out my contribution:

"I went along for a look last night.

Managed to creep onto the pontoons although a notice informed me that they closed at 4pm. Had an enjoyable half hour looking at the boats and noticed one British entry. Tried to buy a programme but the youth guarding a vast pile of them told me he was not allowed to sell any.
    Its tricky to believe but the marina chosen for the event has no bar and no restaurant. A beautiful summers evening but no catering on site, not even a hot dog.
    No problem, the nearby sailing centre has a bar with a superb balcony overlooking the river. We might even eat there if it is not too packed, remember its the last Saturday before the race and a bank holiday.
    The bar contained four people, the lounge was in darkness and the "pie and chips" menu finished at six. The patio furniture was stacked on the balcony and a girl was having a smoke and sweeping the floor. I looked at my watch 9.30.

The French should be given their race, if they want it. for there is little civic, local or national interest.
    The one ray of sunshine, perhaps the RWYC could retain an amateur event, personally I prefer the corinthian atmosphere anyway. "

Sponsorship is not just the big names on the programme. French events are just that "Events" and are supported and promoted by the region/town for the incoming"tourists who come into to see "the event".

To get town councils and areas in uk to help is almost impossible as the regattas/races are seen as "posh folk having a good time." Cowes, maybe excepted, but it only seems to exist for yachting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast