Thread: tac tick

Default tac tick

hi to all out there that know about tac tic and i hope you can help me please ! brand new out of the box but a few years old, depth and speed over ground and wind direction and speed wired up correctly and charged up ! instruction followed to the word on the yellow sheet , i get as far as join it does not beep the countdown finishes and goes back to the begining! why?
    thanks in advance davis

Default Re: tac tick

I had an issue with a TackTick depth gauge kept in a box for a few years before wiring up. It didn't work (can't remember if same fault as yours but it might have been). It turns out there's an internal battery (which they don't tell you about) and once it's dead so is the unit... I had to return it to the makers. I should contact them if I were you.
    ad damnum pecuniae per navis

Is the display within. 30cm or the sensor? It has to be for the wind fitting at least.

Entirely correct! I had a wind instrument kept in box for 2 years. Battery went dead with no way to recharge. Raymarine wanted to charge to replace as out of warranty. I kicked up a fuss and complained and they capitulated confirming that it happened all the time!!

I bought a tacktick racemaster that was solar charged. Battery was very poorly, having been sat on a shop shelf for years. I went to a local electrical repair shop as it needed soldering right next to delicate parts (I think newer variants don't need the batteries soldering). The replacement batteries themselves were abot £3 when I looked them up. The job cost me about £100. Has been perfect ever since.

All the tacktick displays and instruments are battery powered. The 12v connection is just to charge the battery.

The real kick in the teeth is that a new battery is around £70. In most cases they are just rechargeable button cells in parallel. Sometimes 2 sometimes 3. I replacement mine in the hull transmitter for £20.

For the wind vane it makes sense to buy the kit as you get new seals and whatnot.

I bought a second hand TackTick via eBay and discovered that the battery was dead. The seller offered to refund it, but I found a suitable battery, also on eBay, for a few pounds and soldered it in - the device was still working when we sold the boat.