Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Normal paint for boot top line?

A while back I asked on here about raising my waterline and many advised adding a boot top of hard racing antifoul. Good idea and looked great but the dingy and anything that touches it runs the antifoul up onto the gelcoat topsides and it is a bloody pain in the arse!!! Very difficult to get off.

I want to scrape it all off, re prime it and use something else which won't rub off.

Suggestions on a type of paint would be appreciated?
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: Normal paint for boot top line?

surprised you have had problems, I have used both International Trilux 33 (used to be called boot top) or Hempel Boot Top Anti Foul over the years and never had any sign of the tender spreading it beyond the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    surprised you have had problems, I have used both International Trilux 33 (used to be called boot top) or Hempel Boot Top Anti Foul over the years and never had any sign of the tender spreading it beyond the line.
    If you move your finger over the trilux onto the top sides will it spread that way? Or is it so well adhered that it just domes smudge?

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    If you move your finger over the trilux onto the top sides will it spread that way? Or is it so well adhered that it just domes smudge?
    Doesn’t smear or smudge, going down to boat this afternoon will take photo after test you suggest.

Used 2 x coats of International 'Toplac' as the boot topping, lasts for years and you can scrub it when necessary
    2012.jpg
    Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

It never occurred to me to use anything but ordinary anti foul. Fortunately a friend gave me half a tin of white which is ideal and last me till I hang up my boots. Never noticed it smudging or running.

Further to use of Trilux etc. Couple of photos.
    Full Season shows my previous boats waterline with Hempel Boot Top, after a full season of various tenders, fenders etc. rubbing against it.
    3 months shows current boat after 3 months in the water with Trilux, also tried to rub Trilux on to hull but no effect, the black anti-foul however did carry over on to the white Trilux.

So still a bit mystified, but Toplac sounds like an option as long as your not in a high fouling area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the function of "boot top"?

Quote Originally Posted by TC Tuckton View Post
    What is the function of "boot top"?
    It looks pretty.

My boot top is enamel paint, with a 1cm gap of white gelcoat to the antifouling which extends just above the waterline. This is entirely satisfactory since we keep the boat in a marina but a boat on a mooring or exposed to a slop will get stained and some form of antifouling would be better. However, I wouldn't change my present smart look and an alternative solution is to make a point of sponging round the boat at each visit by dinghy.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The only time I have had to ‘sponge’ down around the boot top was some years ago after a trip to Arklow when we all came back looking as if we had been floating in chip fat, otherwise the boot top is never touched from launch in April to lift out in October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast