Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Kyle of Lochalsh pontoons

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Sometimes community involvement is not an improvement, it often depends on the energy of one individual who might be liable to lose interest, I suspect Highland Council were glad to get rid of the reponsibility and won't want to take it back. It was a very useful facility at a node in many cruising routes, developed about 25 years ago by a greatly repected harbourmaster who died much too young.
    Yes, Johnny Ach. A good man.

They are always removed in winter but certainly useful if you are heading for Kylerea
    Toilets are great even washing machines .

Went through the Kyle of Lochalsh, still no pontoons. Rather disappointing as we had intended to stop off quickly for some shopping.

I understand, in conversation with a local who I suppose wot knows, the Community Trust took them on and then discovered that, due to their legal status, they were not legally able to charge for the use of them.

Me Glasgow, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_mischief View Post
    I understand, in conversation with a local who I suppose wot knows, the Community Trust took them on and then discovered that, due to their legal status, they were not legally able to charge for the use of them.
    I understand that they me be able to ask for donations. Not ideal but I have seen that in a few places, probably for the same reason,
    Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob View Post
    Went through the Kyle of Lochalsh, still no pontoons. Rather disappointing as we had intended to stop off quickly for some shopping.
    Tie up alongside the pier?

Quote Originally Posted by yotter View Post
    I understand that they me be able to ask for donations. Not ideal but I have seen that in a few places, probably for the same reason,
    Angus
    Nothing wrong with payment by donation. The showers at Scalpay (Harris) have no fixed charge, but a notice says that donations are welcomed. It seems to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Nothing wrong with payment by donation. The showers at Scalpay (Harris) have no fixed charge, but a notice says that donations are welcomed. It seems to work there.
    Some of the reasons for donations rather than set prices , is vat and tax could be an issue , also the legality of if something goes wrong , by paying money you enter a contract, if something goes wrong they are liable , but can be circumvented by use at owners risk.
    I would presume that the hassle of runnig this like a small buisness is too much.
    But we all should donate the price recommended
    Flying birds have no master

I was through there early one morning about 3 weeks back. Could not see any obvious V pontoons! There was one unoccupied, but didn't look to be a V one.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

I was there on Monday. There are no pontoons.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast