Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Kyle of Lochalsh pontoons

We came through a couple of days ago. Rumor has it they are yet to be put out. Due to lack of suitable work boat.

For what it's worth we dinghied over from Kyleakin to shop. Used the old ferry slipway.

There are also NO moorings in front of Raasay House. Just the riser chain markers. Apparently the council lifted them all very recently- due to some liability issues. They may come back? when?

We anchored, it blew 25+ Northerly all day. Good holding but with a ball of weed when we hauled the anchor.

A few decent moorings at Rona however.

Stornoway is heaving with foreign boats!

I noticed today, that the first bit of pontoon has been installed.
    Real shame about the new visitor moorings at Rona.

Quote Originally Posted by Trop Cher View Post
    I noticed today, that the first bit of pontoon has been installed.
    Real shame about the new visitor moorings at Rona.
    I used to like South Rona. Now it seems to be full of notices, including ones about a "Landing Charge". I'm not at all sure about the legality of a "Charge". If they asked for a donation, I would happily contribute.
    One of the notices that really got to me , was the one on the visitor's mooring buoys, which gave the charge, " However short your stay". A good example of poor psychology. It didn't affect us as we anchored.

Yip, I've seen 17 boats anchored in there, won't be possible now with the new moorings. The guy has a bit of an attitude towards yachts, always seems to be looking for an argument. Still there's always Fladday.

Fladday. Have you ever gone direct from S to N? I was in S Fladday a few weeks ago, and was heading north the next day. Stupidly, I didn't look at the possible passage at LW, and it was HW the next morning when we were leaving. We went round the long way.

No, never tried it. Was heading that way today but the wind took us to Plockton instead.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Fladday. Have you ever gone direct from S to N? I was in S Fladday a few weeks ago, and was heading north the next day. Stupidly, I didn't look at the possible passage at LW, and it was HW the next morning when we were leaving. We went round the long way.
    Not sure I follow. You can walk across the causeway between Fladday and Raasay at mid tide and below. Antares suggests it dries out to 3.2m. I wouldn't attempt taking our yacht over it. Perhaps I've misunderstood what you were suggesting.

Caol Fladda's a nice spot.
    Ω

The fact that one can walk over at half tide, doesn't necessarily make it impossible to sail over when the tide is in. It was just that when leaving S Fladday, and going to be heading north, I wished that I had sussed out the possibility/ best way of going over the causeway. It's not important.

I believe him up in Rona is a caretaker for a Danish owner, but is very proprietorial but I stand to be corrected. This is just the sort of person that needs to take a long walk of a short plank.
    Boaties berthed at Kyle pontoons today.

Last time I went in there I found him welcoming with good advice, we brought our dog ashore and he instructed us not to bag our dogs shit but to kick it in to the bracken for the beetles to eat which is advice I agree with. I suspect there may be reasons for his apparent hostility, not all sailors are polite or respectful. Like Trop Cher I regret the appearance of moorings in such a sheltered anchorage but I suppose there mat be some money to be made, I will be surprised if many boats do not opt to use them. We can not really complain about them appearing when so many of us want them. Look at Canna, you can anchor closer than the moorings but when you go in there all the moorings are taken before anyone anchors.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast