Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sail to power: coming to our senses

Pershing 43 trucked back from the Med .
    After a intro hol in the Med .
    You might never want another boat . For the right reasons

Iím pretty sure Iíve said this before, but just in case...

Go and have a chat with clipper about a Bav sport 36 or 40. Our 37 Sport HT is great for us. Fits on a 12m berth, two good cabins, aircon, gen and most importantly space! Your budget will be tight, but there are some out there.

Hi mcanderson, yes you did indeed, and I plan to do that. When I was getting sucked into the appeal of ever-bigger (and older) boats I'd kinda moved on but now I can see that something like this might work. How do you find your boat handles less-than-ideal conditions (say F5 choppy waters?)
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Graham,

Happy to discuss all things, but it will be easier by phone. PM me your number.

From your requirements I am not sure the modern sports style long bow boats that will boast 30 - 35 knots or more are really what you might want, especially as you are accustomed to ~ 5-6 knots, and suggest you at least consider the slower, more sedate, and certainly immensely comfortable Trawler style motor yachts. You can drop at least 6 - 8' from your nominated 50' and still have the same usable space inside as you are not buying a massive bow section. You will also find the majority of the deck is actually usable.

Not sure what your budget is, but certainly Hatteras, Trader 42, Grand Banks, larger Aquastar, possibly even a Fleming. Designed for a slower speed and enjoying the journey, and at the same time being frugal with fuel and not having mahoosive engines. So running costs will be less.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    Graham,

Happy to discuss all things, but it will be easier by phone. PM me your number.
    OK thanks will do

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    From your requirements I am not sure the modern sports style long bow boats that will boast 30 - 35 knots or more are really what you might want, especially as you are accustomed to ~ 5-6 knots, and suggest you at least consider the slower, more sedate, and certainly immensely comfortable Trawler style motor yachts. You can drop at least 6 - 8' from your nominated 50' and still have the same usable space inside as you are not buying a massive bow section. You will also find the majority of the deck is actually usable.

Not sure what your budget is, but certainly Hatteras, Trader 42, Grand Banks, larger Aquastar, possibly even a Fleming. Designed for a slower speed and enjoying the journey, and at the same time being frugal with fuel and not having mahoosive engines. So running costs will be less.
    This is all true. But the driver for the change is Mrs Scala who does not find these appealing for a variety of relatively ill-defined reasons so it's a hard thing to find a compromise...

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    This is all true. But the driver for the change is Mrs Scala who does not find these appealing for a variety of relatively ill-defined reasons so it's a hard thing to find a compromise...
    Ah, I am not sure I can help you with the undefined feminine side of life, and how this might influence things. I do know in my case SWMBO is most happy when there is a clean and private loo including a decent shower (hot and cold running water obviously), electric kettle, low & accessible decks, and an accessible bed.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    Ah, I am not sure I can help you with the undefined feminine side of life, and how this might influence things. I do know in my case SWMBO is most happy when there is a clean and private loo including a decent shower (hot and cold running water obviously), electric kettle, low & accessible decks, and an accessible bed.
    Nothing different here We have all of that and more on the yacht; question is, what compromises are required to replicate all of that in a mobo that also meets her style, safety and comfort requirements, and my performance, seakeeping and cost criteria too? Add ease of short-handed parking into the mix too. It's not an unusual dilemma I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Nothing different here We have all of that and more on the yacht; question is, what compromises are required to replicate all of that in a mobo that also meets her style, safety and comfort requirements, and my performance, seakeeping and cost criteria too? Add ease of short-handed parking into the mix too. It's not an unusual dilemma I think.
    Could the problem be more one of sailing style and less of boat style? At the risk of overgeneralising, I think that most women don't like adventurous sailing. Several of our (male) friends find themselves sailing alone because of this. They are only happy with the boat heeling at forty degrees or more, water running down the side decks and hanging on for dear life at the helm. I do know a couple of women who think likewise, but very few in comparison with the men. My wife loves sailing and far prefers sailing boats over mobos, but her approach to sailing is to reef early, drop sail and resort to engine soon after reefing and never willingly go out in anything more than a force 4.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast