Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smoke from bow thruster

Newbie question. Was out on the boat yesterday. Usual bit of manoeuvring in the marina and then set off downstream. A few minutes later I noticed what appeared to be a small amount of smoke which seemed to be coming out of the cabin. I stopped the boat to investigate and almost as soon as I stopped the smoke disappeared.

I was left thinking "did that just happen?".

Anyway a little while later I turned to go back upstream and found the bow thruster would not work. It would beep but no power. I left it off for a few minutes and it worked again......I'm thinking the smoke and the bow thruster issue must be connected but what happened?? And why did it start working again?

Default Re: Smoke from bow thruster

They have a thermal cutout.

They do get hot and are very high current which is why you canít use them for long.

I would inspect it and the solenoid before using it again. You really donít want a fire.

I used to ( May now put on in today ) have a smoke detector in the thruster space for this reason.

Thanks, that must be what it was.

I did use it more than usual yesterday because I was on my own - but not a huge amount - so it's disconcerting that was enough to cause a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks, that must be what it was.

I did use it more than usual yesterday because I was on my own - but not a huge amount - so it's disconcerting that was enough to cause a problem.
    Don’t you have to reset the thermal fuse

All I did was turn off the bowthruster completely for a few minutes and then turned it on.

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    All I did was turn off the bowthruster completely for a few minutes and then turned it on.
    Tie up well on your berth , do you have a remote for it if not communicate by phone and get some one to operate ,where you look at motor and touch ,it could be hot smoke is heat ,ideally a clip on amp meter

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    Tie up well on your berth , do you have a remote for it if not communicate by phone and get some one to operate ,where you look at motor and touch ,it could be hot smoke is heat ,ideally a clip on amp meter
    Thanks. What do you mean by "it could be hot smoke is heat"?

Thinking back, the "smoke" didn't seem to have a smell.

I do have an amp meter but wouldn't know what to look for with it...

You probably already checked this but I had a similar problem and upon investigation the earth lead was loose on the bow thruster. This caused some smoke and a hot smell!! Whether it was ever installed correctly or just came loose I don't know.

Smoke could be from dirt on the motor casing or any of the connections if not clean and tight, or from the bearings of the motor itself. Personally I'd go through all the connections thoroughly to clean and tighten. Once all looks good I would tie bow up well and have somebody else run the thruster whist you watch, with ammeter hooked up and a infrared thermometer to see what gets hot. Fire on-board is the absolute worst scenario in my book.
    Adrian is searching for his next boat....

Thanks.

I am going to have a close to look at it. What should I connect the ampmeter to and what should it tell me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast