Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insurance for your home (boat)?

Good advice above. Be aware we found it hard to find fully comp insurance for Atlantic crossing Brazil and Caribbean.
    Because our boat is not worth as much.
    Pants who we started with, we had to be more than £70k to go south/west of the canaries.
    Topsail gave us insurance to cross and for Brazil but have now changed there policies on who they will insure.
    Carribbean/American brokers seem the best for once you have crossed.
    3 years ago when we researched before leaving it was much easier.
    35k boat. Atlantic crossing Inc Brazil £1900 (only quote we found). We were very close to just buying 3rd party.
    Despite trying we have now failed to stay with the same insurer and build up a record with them.

Default Re: Insurance for your home (boat)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantp View Post
    Pants who we started with, we had to be more than £70k to go south/west of the canaries.
    The rumour a couple of years ago was £80k but I queried it and it turned out to be less than that: I thought it was £60k but just found on their wen site that it's (now anyway) £50k and min 10m:
    https://www.pantaenius.com/uk-en/ser...ull-insurance/

(it's the FAQ most of the way down the list about whether pants are only interested in expensive boats)

To the op if most insurance is anything like mine, most of it is the 3rd party part. I considered dropping the comp part on the grounds that buying insurance makes about as much probabilistic sense as buying scratch cards but the low incremental cost over 3rd party (which you need if you want to stay in a marina ever) meant I was probably worth if for the peace of mind should I ever need legal advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12