Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Older Westerly OceanLord

Hi
    Just joined the forum with hope of gleaning the benefit of the collective wisdom.

Concerning a late 80s Westerly Oceanlord: how many years is one of the likely to have left in them? There are not many for sale. Is that because people don’t sell them or because most have been scrapped due to needing major rectification work to Hull or the rig needing replacement?

I like the idea of a bigger boat but I don’t have 6 figures to play with and equally don’t want to buy something which is likely to be dead in a few short years time.

Thoughts and opinions gratefully received
    Last edited by Tinto; 28-05-19 at 09:15.

Default Re: Older Westerly OceanLord

They last forever. Boats built in the 70s 80s were by Westerly, Moody,, Halmatic etc were very well constructed and a far heavier fibre glass layup than boats of today, I would not hesitate to buy one, Some of the ancillary equipment might be dated but if it works and does the job ...... Head linings can be an expensive problem

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

If you are seriously considering an Oceanlord, then join the Westerly Owners Association (£15) and contact the BoatLine member for the Oceanlord. He is an owner and knows them well enough to advise potential buyers what to look out for. I am a Boatline member for the Fulmar and have assisted a number of potential owners with advice and review of any they were considering, leading to choosing the right boat for them.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Ask Frank Holden of this parish who has been commuting between Tasmania and Patagonia and pottering around the Patagonian fjords, the Falklands, etc. in his Sealord for many years now..

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Ask Frank Holden of this parish who has been commuting between Tasmania and Patagonia and pottering around the Patagonian fjords, the Falklands, etc. in his Sealord for many years now..
    We too have sailed a Sealord for the last 14 years. For a reasonably priced slightly larger boat the Sealord and Oceanlord can be excellent value. (One of the few differences is the Oceanlord has a sugar scoop stern.)
    Semper aliud

By coincidence there is one for sale next to me on the pontoon, looks in good condition and the owner spoke highly of her

thank you for the information. Its what I suspected from general research on the subject, but good to know the Oceanlord was one of those boats that was built heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    By coincidence there is one for sale next to me on the pontoon, looks in good condition and the owner spoke highly of her
    hi,
    can you tell me where that oceanlord is located and is it advertised on the net anywhere.? Be good to learn more about it.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

I am not certain that the boat you are interested in is built the same way but you might like to refer to Sails and Rig on my website. Westerly Oceanmaster.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I owned a Westerly Ocean 43 designed by Ron Holland for six or seven years and a Moody 36 designed by Angus Primrose for a similar period. Of the 8 boats that I have owned in the past these two were amongst the best. Both sail really well, really comfortable to be in and easy to handle and very very, well built.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast