Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Provisioning for a Passage

I always get it wrong and overdo it. I usually end up giving food away or, worse, throwing it away. I'm looking at freeze dried food as a means of cutting down waste. Has anyone tried and tested these and decided which are the most palatable??

Default Re: Provisioning for a Passage

I'm afraid my only experience of freeze-dried foods is the ready meals that Erin Foods used to make, or Vesta curries, so no my choice would be meats shrinkwrapped in relevant portions and frozen, and a selection of fresh fruit and veg chosen so that the faster-decomposing ones would be consumed first, leaving the longer-lasting ones for later in the voyage. Potatoes, as you know, contain much more nutrition than rice or pasta, and last quite well if stored properly.
    This the practice recommended for sailing the ARC, but it does depend on having a good freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonyx View Post
    I usually end up giving food away or, worse, throwing it away.
    Why don't you take it home and use it there?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Why don't you take it home and use it there?
    I usually do but perishables perish! I suppose my question really is what long life foods do people store on their boats. I have a bunch of those quick meals that you just add boiling water to for snacks. Constantly trying new ones and some are really quite good now

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonyx View Post
    I always get it wrong and overdo it. I usually end up giving food away or, worse, throwing it away. I'm looking at freeze dried food as a means of cutting down waste. Has anyone tried and tested these and decided which are the most palatable??
    Why? Do you normally do the daily/weekly/monthly shop? No real difference to that.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Why? Do you normally do the daily/weekly/monthly shop? No real difference to that.
    Exactly - we change a little with grabbable snacks which we wouldn’t have on board but otherwise it’s lots of normal fresh food with a few non perishable staples. Unless you are going to be more than maybe 10 days between shops then why not.

I like to have a few non-perishable foodstuffs on board. Pasta, tinned food, packet soup. It's not like I'm trying to feed a crew of ten for a week and save weight, so I've never really looked into freeze dried.
    The 'emergency rations' sometimes get used when we go for a weekend intending to eat out but find the pub is overcrowded or it's just too nice to eat indoors.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I like to have a few non-perishable foodstuffs on board. Pasta, tinned food, packet soup. It's not like I'm trying to feed a crew of ten for a week and save weight, so I've never really looked into freeze dried.
    The 'emergency rations' sometimes get used when we go for a weekend intending to eat out but find the pub is overcrowded or it's just too nice to eat indoors.
    Me too. Tea, coffee, long life milk, rice, pasta, decent tinned sardines and tuna, the inevitable corned beef, olive oil, condiments and spices, preserves, soups porage, Golden Syrup...

You can get decent Danish ship's biscuit from Arthur Beale.

The one thing I absolutely cannot find, and want, is tinned butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    The one thing I absolutely cannot find, and want, is tinned butter.
    Tinned Butter

Last edited by LadyInBed; 31-05-19 at 14:35.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Yes, the tins in your picture - particularly the right hand one - are what I used to get and can no longer buy, anywhere in this country. I suspect that this is because it came from the Land of the Long White Cloud and Anchor butter for the UK market is now made here.

The Amazon one that you link to "does not ship to UK"...
    Last edited by Minn; 31-05-19 at 15:14.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast