Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default First trip to Devon & Cornwall

Hello!

We've just bought a new boat (currently keeping it in the solent) & are planning our first trip west to Devon and Cornwall for around 2 weeks.

I'd love to hear recommendations of places to stay - in particular scenic locations on mooring buoys?

Thanks!
    Lauren

Default Re: First trip to Devon & Cornwall

2 weeks can turn out to be a bit of a rush, if you try to do too much.
    One of our early trips, we had a lot of strong Easterlies which made getting home harder work than we imagined. Other years the weather has been kinder.
    I'd suggest getting Mark Fishwick's book West Country Cruising and just going for it.
    Personally I think it's all worth a visit, with the possible exception of Torquay.
    Make your plans according to tides, weather, and whether you want long or short days sailing.
    We tend to not plan too much in advance, if the wind's amenable we go further in a day.
    Also check out any events such as Fowey Classic Regatta, these are lovely to watch but can mean it's hard to find a mooring.

Dartmouth’s always a good bet then up the river to Dittisham

Dart (Dittisham)
    River Yealm
    Salcombe
    Fowey
    Helford

There are lots.

I'm unusual in that (not sure why) but I actually like Weymouth, though it's not remotely scenic and rather ties you to going close inshore off Portland. From Weymouth then Dartmouth, Salcombe, Yealm, Plymouth, Fowey, Falmouth and Helford. That's about it for most people in 2 weeks. Have done 2 weeks from the Solent with 2 very small kids aboard and never got further than Salcombe.

Of this lot my favourites are Dartmouth, Fowey, Falmouth area. But I quite like to get ashore for an evening meal. Prettiest probably Yealm and Helford, and some upriver bits from Plymouth. Ignore Brixham, Torquay and the Exe and Teign, and I have bad memories of Lyme Regis.

Don't forget (miss out?) Polperro, between Plymouth and Fowey. Trot Mooring buoys just outside the harbour, and OK if you have a bit of North in the breeze. You'll need long lines and a dinghy row ashore, where the pub is right on the doorstep. £10 a night and a very attractive village to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    I'm unusual in that (not sure why) but I actually like Weymouth, though it's not remotely scenic and rather ties you to going close inshore off Portland. From Weymouth then Dartmouth, Salcombe, Yealm, Plymouth, Fowey, Falmouth and Helford. That's about it for most people in 2 weeks. Have done 2 weeks from the Solent with 2 very small kids aboard and never got further than Salcombe.

Of this lot my favourites are Dartmouth, Fowey, Falmouth area. But I quite like to get ashore for an evening meal. Prettiest probably Yealm and Helford, and some upriver bits from Plymouth. Ignore Brixham, Torquay and the Exe and Teign, and I have bad memories of Lyme Regis.
    I agree with most of that, including liking Weymouth.
    However we often go straightpast, we find a casual departure, a night on the buoys outside Yarmouth followed by catching the early tide and banging on to Dartmouth is our usual plan. Which makes Brixham an option for a late arrival if the wind dies. I've always liked the club there.
    Lyme Regis, I had a memorable night (rough) on a buoy outside when the wind went against the forecast. So we left just before dawn and saw the coast in spectacular morning light, enjoyed a nice late breakfast ashore in Weymouth. I've only been back to race dinghies, but it's actually a good memory.

I like Weymouth too, and it makes Lyme bay into a day trip. It is a shame that Flood's restaurant is no longer there.

I would notionally set Falmouth as my target but with the expectation that it might not happen, though you would be unlucky not to reach Fowey. However, a week of foul weather is not that unusual so a few bolt-holes will come in useful. Dartmouth, Salcombe and the Yealm can all do this and I believe the Tamar is another though I only know it by road.

Fowey is sadly popular but can still be delightful, even glorious, and a bus trip to the Eden Project makes a good day out, even better if you have a senility pass. In the same vein, Heligan gardens are easy to reach too. Dartmouth is very grand and the entrance is always memorable for the right reasons, with castles and gardens to visit as well as Agatha Christie's house up the river. Mid-stream pontoons or anchoring are possible if you are allergic to shores. Salcombe is a madhouse but can also be great fun too, especially if there is a regatta going on. The West Country is a great place for going quickly and returning slowly.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by lrlloyd View Post

I'd love to hear recommendations of places to stay - in particular scenic locations on mooring buoys?

Thanks!
    Lauren
    Hi,

If you get that far, there are three not to miss

For me, perfection is the upper Fal, 10 o'clock, light fading, little things on sticks, bottle of red. With water so flat you think you are aground, no roads complete silence. You can't miss Fowey either and the swinging moorings up the river on Wisemans Reach might suit you. There is also nothing like the Yealm but do push on up past the pool, a lot of people miss it and end up on a busy pontoon with a pile of other yachties, talking about investments. Don't be afraid of picking up a regular mooring the Harbourmaster will sort you out and he will expect it.

As the others say, there are lots of other grand places, Cawsand Bay, The Helford, St Mawes, St Austell Bay, Salcombe, Dartmouth, can't go wrong.

Lots of wonderful places, dragons and massive sea serpents.

You don't say what type of boat you have, can you take the ground is what I am really asking. Many good places mentioned above. Although the boat is now in Plymouth I love the Exe, the pilot book paints a fearsome picture, but time it well and make sure your depth sounder is working and it is a doddle.
    Last edited by Sandy; 29-05-19 at 18:16.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast