Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Time to "upgrade" - advice on buying

Triola, our trusted and much loved 30 foot 1970s Albin Ballad will sadly soon be on the market due to two things.

1. I will shortly be inheriting some dosh.
    2. I have too many crew to fit in Triola "comfortably" (three kids (1, 4 and 7), one dog and the wife).

We still cruise with the above and will be going away for our usual two week stint to Suffolk this year, and she is a great and hardy boat for four, but for five we are going to struggle as they all get bigger.

So, the question is, what do we buy next? Our budget is a maximum of £45k, perhaps £50k at a stretch and I don't mind a bit of work to do. Ideally we need two aft cabins to put the "crew" in, so the charter configuration Bavaria 36/38, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35 or the Beneteau First 36.7 look like a good bet. We are used to a deep, heavily built sea boat, and I shudder at the thought of horrors like keel bolts (what if the previous owner grounded hard?). We do cruise the East Coast right now, and our draft of 1.5m occasionally trips us up, so going deeper will mean we will need to consider other cursing grounds. So, the questions:

1. We are on the East Coast, where is the best place to 'look' for our next boat? The standard brokers like BoatShed? Foxes etc?
    2. Are we missing any tricks with three kids on a boat? Are there any other cabin combinations that work? The kids really don't mind being cheek by jowl (although its nice having some privacy!)
    3. Are there any other boats you can recommend? My preference is away from anything like a Fisher with a coach roof, and I do like the lines of the production AWBs of the Bavs and Beneteaus.
    4. Of the three I mentioned above, is there anything that sets them apart from each other in construction, quality or safety? (Bavaria 36/38, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35 or the Beneteau First 36.7) - bearing in mind, at our budget, we would be looking at a 15 to 25 year old version of the boat.

I will struggle to see Triola go when the time comes, however its time to get something bigger to fit everyone on!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Time to "upgrade" - advice on buying

Wouldn't know about the boat but I was pleased with Clarke and Carter at SYH and Howard Ford Marine Sales at Woodbridge.

This was next to me in the yard this winter:

https://www.red-ensign.com/boats/starlight-35-2/

Check the spec, shallow draught and easy to dry out which can add an extra dimension to family trips. Not as porky as some more modern efforts either.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post

Check the spec, shallow draught and easy to dry out which can add an extra dimension to family trips. Not as porky as some more modern efforts either.
    What a great buy that would be. Brilliant sailing boat, I don't recall a negative review.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post

I'd say "snap" to that. You don't get twin aft cabins but you get a lot of really nice boat, seemingly in good order

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Wouldn't know about the boat but I was pleased with Clarke and Carter at SYH and Howard Ford Marine Sales at Woodbridge.
    We bought our second boat from Clarke and Carter and were very happy with the service they delivered. That was quite a few years ago and staff have probably changed since then, so please don't blame me if they are not so good now!

Actually, I've just checked their web site and see that Peter is still there - he was certainly good to deal with!

I also have 3 kids who are now grown up and was one of 3 kids on my parents Albin Vega when I was growing up.

Your children are still very young and you didn't mention if they were girls or boys .... my experience was that I really disliked being stuffed in with my siblings beyond age 7, so my own first boat had to have 3 separate sleeping cabins. It is indispensable when they need some down time and privacy as they get a little older ... one year my kids devoured the entire Harry Potter series, each in a separate cabin in peace and quiet while we enjoyed the scenery and the rest of the boat .... space is luxury

Don't worry about keel bolts and don't get sucked into the MAB AWB debate, but if you're planning on buying an older style, heavier boat, don't let the family see a modern AWB .... warm showers, spacious accommodation, light and airy interiors ... I'm off now before the MAB brigade turn up to tell you your family will die in anything less than a long keeled floating cave with a skeg protected rudder and shaft drive ...

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

I'd avoid the First 36.7 to be honest.

If you are used to a Ballad you won't want to sacrifice sailing ability. The Starlight is a very sound design. I don't know much about the wing keel but you could make it work to your advantage if this is the reason for the low price. On the whole, I think that you have too many children and should sell one of them with your current boat.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    I'd avoid the First 36.7 to be honest.
    Why's that? - Genuinely curious.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast