Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thames Britainís Great River

New documentary starting Tuesday 4th June 8pm channel 5

Default Re: Thames Britainís Great River

Got to be worth a look, wonder what the focus will be on. ?
    Must be difficult to get a new angle and not merely re hash the hundreds of previous efforts.
    Good starting point could be the latest challenges the river faces, lack of funds and therefore expanding ways of generating money from all those benefiting from the existance of the Thames.
    Water extraction and pollution, especially from agriculture, really needs to be looked at urgently.

Watched last night.
    Not a difficult choice , looking at the alternatives on TV.Though Tony was a reasonable compromise between somebody you might have heard of with a bit a historical gravitas vs somebody just evicted from a cooking show.
    A pretty good effort and from the point of view of a non local, rather interesting, especially regards the source moving due to water extraction.Most interesting and informative due to all my boats never being able to get that far up.
    Possibly would have put the painful "Dads Army" interlude on the cutting room floor and the punts sort of filled a few slack moments.
    Also timely demonstration, for those constantly knocking the EA , about the work going on behind the scenes.
    Nice motorboat.
    Looking forward to next episodes further down river, especially about the tidal section, where the real history is.
    7 out of 10.

I saw it last night and quite enjoyed it. Looking forward to future episodes

Damn, I had to go out for the evening and I forgot to record it!

Quote Originally Posted by thamesS23 View Post
    Brilliant! Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Watched last night.
    Not a difficult choice , looking at the alternatives on TV.Though Tony was a reasonable compromise between somebody you might have heard of with a bit a historical gravitas vs somebody just evicted from a cooking show.
    A pretty good effort and from the point of view of a non local, rather interesting, especially regards the source moving due to water extraction.Most interesting and informative due to all my boats never being able to get that far up.
    Possibly would have put the painful "Dads Army" interlude on the cutting room floor and the punts sort of filled a few slack moments.
    Also timely demonstration, for those constantly knocking the EA , about the work going on behind the scenes.
    Nice motorboat.
    Looking forward to next episodes further down river, especially about the tidal section, where the real history is.
    7 out of 10.
    It's not the whole of the EA that's getting knocked - just the management of the Thames navigation.

IIRC EA didn't want it - 'twas wished upon it by 'Government' when it was decided to get rid of the Thames Conservancy

River management went TC,TWA,NRA then EA. So why do you say EA was a result of government getting rid of TC?

Am I missing something ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast