Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

Maybe there is a thread that I have missed, in which case - sorry.

A 74 year old completing a non stop circumnavigation by the southern route in a Nicholson 32 seems worthy of some comment at least.

https://my.yb.tl/nicoladeux

Default Re: Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

Maybe because it's been done before!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Default Re: Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Maybe because it's been done before!
    Sorry, could you point me to the thread?

I think the Lady might be suggesting 74 years olds completing the same excursion - do it all the time. (?!) Maybe like climbing Mount Everest - it quite 'easy' now?

I do stand to be corrected of my interpretation.

I'm with you, Minn, extraordinary (even for someone much younger).

It is the sort of achievement many might have tucked in the back of their minds (but never realise). I confess to lacking the stamina, perseverance and ambition. As I approach maturity I sadly value too many creature comforts, like a wife, to embark on such ventures - but I can admire those with the persistence.

Jonathan

His wife was doing the same thing in her boat...

What strikes me is that the Nic 32 is a smaller and older boat than the boats favoured by the Golden Globe competitors, but he seems to have calmly gone once round the block at the same sort of time with not much more than a broken boom (repaired)...

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Sorry, could you point me to the thread?
    Here
    Here
    Here OK, He wasn't 'old' but In 2009/2010 Alessandro Di Benedetto toured the world with the smallest boat, 6.50 meters, on the route of the Vendée Globe (the Everest of sailing), alone, without a stop, without assistance and for the three great Chiefs (Good Hope, Leeuwin, Horn). Alessandro sailed for almost 9 months and over 28,000 miles in complete autonomy (with complete self-sufficiency, including energy and food. For fresh water, Alessandro used a desalinator powered by renewable energy sources), without an engine on board, without diesel or other fuel for charging the batteries. A "zero impact" tour of the world that has seen the use of only renewable energy sources (with the help of photovoltaic panels, hydrogenerators and wind generators) for charging the on-board batteries.
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 31-05-19 at 14:21.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

He's only 74 ffs.

I wasn't claiming that he had set some sort of record; all I wrote was:

A 74 year old completing a non stop circumnavigation by the southern route in a Nicholson 32 seems worthy of some comment at least.

I just think that given the demolition derby that was the GGR, in bigger, newer, boats, and the misadventures of the admirable Jean Socrates, in a bigger, newer, boat, he has done rather well, and it would be nice to know what he did..

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    He's only 74 ffs.
    I wasn't claiming that he had set some sort of record.....
    I believe he may be the oldest person to have completed a single handed, non stop circumnavigation.

Probably because until you posted this I for one, and I am sure I am not alone, was not aware of this mans existence nor what he is doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast