Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

I only found it because of a mention on the Arthur Beale chandlery page.

He's done it twice, now; once with stops, once without. I'm ... er... impressed!

Default Re: Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I only found it because of a mention on the Arthur Beale chandlery page.

He's done it twice, now; once with stops, once without. I'm ... er... impressed!
    Now I know about him, so am I !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Now I know about him, so am I !
    Me Too!

Thanks for the heads up Minn.

I have now posted your link to my ancient mates.

We should all feel better now .
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

GHA was onto this but it seems most of us were not aware of this fantastic achievement. He wasn’t going slowly, either. That’s a very good time for a Nic 32.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...First-One-Home
    Last edited by Kukri; 01-06-19 at 11:28.

I hope that we may look forward to an article. I’d like to benefit from some of Mr Curphey’s expertise. That was a quick circumnavigation with no fuss.

Who?

Personally if I do anything like that I really, really do not want the full blase of publicity on me. Depart Falmouth, arrive Falmouth some time later with the boat in need of a clean and me looking for the barbers for a haircut and a shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I just think that given the demolition derby that was the GGR, in bigger, newer, boats, and the misadventures of the admirable Jean Socrates, in a bigger, newer, boat, he has done rather well, and it would be nice to know what he did..
    But that was in the full blase of publicity and a race.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I had opportunity today to chat with Tony Curphey, not long after a similar chat with Susie Goodall. She was doing a Q&A session to just a handful of 'rubberneckers' like me, on the Marlow Ropes stand, while Tony C. was in his Nic 32 stern-on to one of the pontoons. They're both very pleasant and approachable, and modestly keen to share their accumulated experience. In fact, Tony C. is booked to do a daily presentation on John Good's 'Foredeck Stage' near the south entrance - as are Stokey Woodhall, Max Liberson and other true notables.

I try to learn a little from each of such encounters. Whether I'll be able to utilise any of such 'consultancy' is a different question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I think the Lady might be suggesting 74 years olds completing the same excursion - do it all the time. (?!) Maybe like climbing Mount Everest - it quite 'easy' now?

I do stand to be corrected of my interpretation.

I'm with you, Minn, extraordinary (even for someone much younger).

It is the sort of achievement many might have tucked in the back of their minds (but never realise). I confess to lacking the stamina, perseverance and ambition. As I approach maturity I sadly value too many creature comforts, like a wife, to embark on such ventures - but I can admire those with the persistence.

Jonathan
    Your wife is a "creature"?
    Pray expand on that.

Never heard of Tony Curphey?

He's totally mad, super competent, and as resourceful as you like.

Great story for any yachting mag!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast