Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIS

Default AIS

My new boat comes with Raymarine AIS receive only , via vhf ( Raymarine 70 vhf Dsc ) all send to gps etc , is there any way I can add to class as transponder class B , so I can be seen.
    Thanks
    Keep it Simple!

Default Re: AIS

I like your signature

You can't add just a transmitter to your current receiver but will need to buy a complete transceiver which will then display other vessels on your chartplotter and transmit your position to other vessels.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You can't add just a transmitter to your current receiver but will need to buy a complete transceiver which will then display other vessels on your chartplotter and transmit your position to other vessels.

Richard
    Thanks Richard
    Reckoned that too , but will the new Raymarine 70 that receives only , be be capital of , carrying a transponder .
    Keep it Simple!

I thought you wanted to keep it simple?
    Plan B...?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    I thought you wanted to keep it simple?
    Constructive advice please Richard is very knowledgeable, so do not waste our time
    Last edited by cloud7; 31-05-19 at 21:39.
    Keep it Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Thanks Richard
    Reckoned that too , but will the new Raymarine 70 that receives only , be be capital of , carrying a transponder .
    Ah .... I think I see what you mean. You are not displaying the AIS data on a chartplotter or tablet but are viewing it on the small screen on the VHF and want to know whether the VHF will accept an NMEA input from a new transceiver and display that data rather than the data from the VHF's internal AIS receiver.

I'm pretty sure that the answer will be no, although the manual should clarify, but presumably it's not a deal breaker as you could continue to use the VHF to display it's own data and simply have the AIS transceiver transmitting your position to other vessels without connecting the output of the transceiver to anything.

If you don't have a chartplotter you could either buy a transceiver with a display or buy one with a wifi output and display the AIS data on a smart phone/tablet/PC. I would expect that all of those will provide a better display than the VHF screen.

Richard

Richard
    Thinking just go for transponder sending to new generation Raymarine flat screen gps plotter , let them sort it out the plastic is still on everything.
    Keep it Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    do not waste our time
    I think you may have found yourself in the wrong forum!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I think you may have found yourself in the wrong forum!
    Indeed. One of the charms of this overwhelmingly very successful forum (actually any healthy social environment) is the ability of participants to sometimes gently rib one another, to word-play, to quietly glide - without expressing proprietoral umbrage - over posts that are tangential to the original issue, to accept levels of literacy and standards of grammar that differ from the percieved norm, etc. It would be a very dull and deserted place otherwise. Better perhaps to keep it human?

I hope the OP gets the answer to his question and resolves his technical issue.
    Plan B...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast