Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: S. Florida base for Caribbean winter cruises?

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    Your choice of Caribbean base may be dictated by your insurance company. Check with them first.

Trinidad is OK with most. Not sure if there are direct flights from the UK.

Grenada is OK with many and has direct flights. It is also one of the friendliest Caribbean islands.
    Pantaeneus (but would swap if I needed to, the days where I let others stop me doing what I fancy are long over) - I'll do some research on Grenada, thanks for the info
    It's not my fault if people choose to take me seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Bottom View Post
    T...probably makes sense to tackle the Caribbean from a base there and to gradually explore further north including ICW / Great Lakes etc...So - potential Caribbean bases to consider ....................
    As noted if you're comprehensively insured then you Insurers will in part dictate.
    It changes year to year but Trini, Grenada and nowadays Carriacou too seem to remain favourites; as a rule of thumb the further north you go in the Eastern Caribbean, the greater your Hurricane-risk. That said, if you're laying-up and flying away for months at a time, I quite liked the look of and prices quoted at the storage yard at the top end of St Kitts.

As an aside, given that you've a 62-footer, there are mast height restrictions (generally 65') in much of the ICW and depths too can make things interesting once you get beyond a 6' draft.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Not many catamarans draw 6 ft
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    As noted if you're comprehensively insured then you Insurers will in part dictate.
    It changes year to year but Trini, Grenada and nowadays Carriacou too seem to remain favourites; as a rule of thumb the further north you go in the Eastern Caribbean, the greater your Hurricane-risk. That said, if you're laying-up and flying away for months at a time, I quite liked the look of and prices quoted at the storage yard at the top end of St Kitts.
    Have you actually seen the yard at the top end of St Kitts? Its not a place I want to leave my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    As an aside, given that you've a 62-footer, there are mast height restrictions (generally 65') in much of the ICW and depths too can make things interesting once you get beyond a 6' draft.

Apologies, I should have been clearer. The 62' is a mono hull in the UK (mast 82', draught 8'6") - We are talking about a different boat purchase for this use, probably a Lagoon 440/450 or similar. I'm aware of the ICW limitations from my old Fort Lauderdale experience.

Probably looking for the owners version with 2 x 54hp Yanmars so that when we fully retire (2/3 years) we can make progress motoring up the ICW under power and have the mast shipped by road to meet us up north / great lakes.

I had been looking at trawler or semi displacement mobo's but have probably now settled for a large engined sailing cat - a bit of a compromise I know but there will only be the two of us and the current mono is 33 tons - fine when all is going well but you guys know the score.
    Last edited by Sandy Bottom; 03-06-19 at 22:34.
    It's not my fault if people choose to take me seriously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12