Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chum

Default Chum

.... or kellet, or angel, or Buddy.

https://jimmygreen.com/anchoring-acc...een+Marine&utm

This latest offering, from Jimmy Green Marine, will take a bite from your wallet that's £160-sized. And that's before you buy and fill it with lead shot. And carriage.....

There are those around who still believe in this sort of mumbo-jumbo and, for now at least, we still live in a nation that permits such strange belief systems in the cause of freedom of religion. For it is an Act of Faith. That's akin to those who insist that 'their' bilge keeler sails just as fast as someone else's fin keeler, or that the best thing to do when meeting with a merchant ship is to turn and run in the other direction.

Me? I can find other uses for £160, net of lead shot.

Default Re: Chum

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post

https://jimmygreen.com/anchoring-acc...een+Marine&utm

This latest offering, from Jimmy Green Marine, will take a bite from your wallet that's £160-sized. And that's before you buy and fill it with lead shot. And carriage.....

There are those around who still believe in this sort of mumbo-jumbo and, for now at least, we still live in a nation that permits such strange belief systems in the cause of freedom of religion. For it is an Act of Faith. That's akin to those who insist that 'their' bilge keeler sails just as fast as someone else's fin keeler, or that the best thing to do when meeting with a merchant ship is to turn and run in the other direction.

Me? I can find other uses for £160, net of lead shot.
    You have finally put me over the edge and am now phoning the Priory to book myself in I can'y take it any more Captain
    Flying birds have no master

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    ...This latest offering, from Jimmy Green Marine, will take a bite from your wallet that's £160-sized...There are those around who still believe in this sort of mumbo-jumbo...Me? I can find other uses for £160, net of lead shot.
    Ours was a 'Chum' and whilst agreeing with you about the £160, we found ours to be invaluable:
    Back in the Med we had a 10kg barbell weight, rota-broached to provide one small hole for the recovery cord and another larger one to accept the pin of a large shackle. Once moored bows to on the Greek Quays we would slide it down the stern anchor rope which (a) kept the anchor line well below the surface so stopped any boats passing close astern from snagging it with their props or more often keels and (b) allowed you to 'sit' a little further away from the quay, but still be able to easily haul yourself forward for getting on or off.

Could be mumbo-jumbo of course, I did once buy some magic beans; or perhaps those were just more mushrooms?
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Is this just a rant?
    I made a 'Chum' for a few quid - a roll of roofing lead in a plastic drainage pipe.
    When used in 'moderate' conditions or on a kedge anchor it's most effective.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I see that their gadget slots neatly onto a chain and has a sheave to roll on the chain.
    But, it's expensive and will it survive bashing on the bottom?
    Lead shot is also not cheap.

I made one from some “redundant weights”, a bit of 1” bar, a couple of ss collars from RS and a wire strop together with plenty of paint.

Is it a pedigree chum?

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Is it a pedigree chum?
    Haha!
    At the full allowable 15 kg the weight is just over 10 metres of 8 mm chain. Anchorages are increasingly crowded but most will accommodate 10 metres more chain.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

A lead sash window weight works fine and doesn't cost much.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I bought a kettle bell gym weight at Lidl or Aldi. Various weights available. Not designated for marine use but has survived a few years so far. Does help when using rope anchor rode, prevents the warp getting wrapped around the keel.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast