Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Chum

Default Re: Chum

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    My dear Zoidberg,

It pains me to have to inform you that you are entirely mistaken....... “Chum” is as Poignard correctly states,

Here is a photo of page 53 of the Fourth Edition of Claud Worth’s “Yacht Cruising”, in which he describes the invention of the “kellet”, “angel” or whatever (he doesn’t call it by any of these names) and explains its use:

Fascinating! And I'm quite content to be 'brought up short' and 'taken aback'.....
    However, given that the thing seems to be an Invention O' The De'il in Non-Conformist Edinburgh, and I am for all my sins an Egalitarian Weegie, I rather think I shall continue to call it a 'Folderol'.
    It has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about it.....

Now, will you write to Merriam-Webster and the OED, or shall I?

On another tack. your page from 'Yacht Cruising' is intriguing. I shall now hunt down a copy. Just last year, in La Trinite-Sur-Mer just across the road from the harbour office, I found a display of Wichard boat-jewellery and this 'saddle shackle'.... I suspect it is not intended as a traveller, but I brought one home to play with, as can be seen.

[QUOTE=zoidberg;6810161]... Now, will you write to Merriam-Webster and the OED, or shall I?.../QUOTE]

No need. Although OED and Websters do include a few trade names that have become synonyms for the generic (Kleenex, Nylon, Kevlar), I think they would pass on something so obscure, since kellet or sentinel are common usage. This archaic reference will be forgotten soon enough.

My dear Drew,

I remain happily wedded to 'folderol'

It works for me.

Should I ever feel the need for a large lump of redundant lead, there's a church roof not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    My dear Drew,

I remain happily wedded to 'folderol'

It works for me.

Should I ever feel the need for a large lump of redundant lead, there's a church roof not far away.

Fun stuff!!

Who's kidding who, boats are full of folderol, whats-its, thingamathangers, and "that rope, the one over there!"

Only slightly more seriously, "A Sea of Words" by O'Brian is a good read. Some you know, some will educate, and some will make you laugh.

Ta! I shall go hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    .... or kellet, or angel, or Buddy....

...There are those around who still believe in this sort of mumbo-jumbo and, for now at least, we still live in a nation that permits such strange belief systems in the cause of freedom of religion. For it is an Act of Faith. ..
    Those who have faith will get a good night's sleep though, whilst the rest of use are up every two hours and in between are just lying awake listening for a change in the waves slapping against the hull, the wind in the rigging, the way the boat's moving, people shouting, engines running, the dreaded anchor alarm going off (not that I know anyone who actually trusts it the anchor alarm anyway), etc.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    How do you rig the chum and pigs? Leaning over the bow, reaching down to the chain? Sounds impossibly strenuous, so please explain. I must miss understand.
    It goes pretty much without saying that if the anchor chain is leading straight down I wonít bother rigging the Chum. If the chain is growing (note the Term of Art, here!) ahead a bit itís easy to hook the Chum on. Itís a bit harder to do up a shackle of course. The slider wonít be going anywhere because I will have belayed itís line whilst I add the weights. Since my Chum lost its own lead discs which had a radial slot in them with a wider central hole so they slotted in one above the other and were retained by the central stem I use lead ballast pigs on strops. Must make it some proper weights! Itís not hard to bowline the strops on and then drop the weights over. Having done that I just slack the line away until the weight is on the bottom in the lulls.

To recover, pull it up to the stem head again, take the weights off and get it on deck.

Much easier than a second anchor.

To recover, pull it up to the stem head again, take the weights off and get it on deck.

Much easier than a second anchor.
    Some people have natural urge to turn this, almost, amicable thread into a full blown anchor thread

Now - I don't want to encourage you but if you insist on your current practices in the face of much contrary advise

For your lead weights

Try a sponge cake baking tin (or Christmas/Dundee cake tin (Zoidberg and I will both prefer the Scots association with anchoring equipment, CQR, Delta, Bruce, Knox)), use it to contain the cast molten lead. Cut the slot, hacksaw, and hole, hole saw, when it has cooled down. Making a recess and a protrusion so they nest. Use a hole saw to cut the recess (and chisel to dig it out) - use the hole saw of a size for bun/muffin tin to cast the protrusion, drilled, that you will weld onto the top of each biscuit. I have found that when molten lead cools it shrinks and allows the casting to fall out easily - however I might have simply been lucky and it is easy enough to run a blow torch over the baking tin so the contact lead melts and the pig falls out through gravity. Molten lead is HOT - leather welding gloves, decent overalls, tongs and keep wives, children and pets at a distance. Scrap merchants or your local church roof are good source of lead.

Jonathan

It is odd that a simple device, that only reactionaries use, has so many names, chum, angel, sentinel, kellet - and the list grows daily. Contrarily and luckily the other piece of kit has only one name - an anchor.

Jonathan

... lead discs which had a radial slot in them with a wider central hole so they slotted in one above the other and were retained by the central stem ....
    That is a beautiful piece of descriptive writing, if you don't mind my saying so.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast