Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Chum

Default Re: Chum

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I have learned something from this thread, for my 15kg lead Chum to be more effective I need to add an umbrella to it
    I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong..
    You'll be corrected if right as well

Brillant

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    You'll be corrected if right as well

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    You cary only one spare anchor?

Jonathan
    No, four but only one is equivalent to the main bower.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

My favorite kellet is a loop of chain. Depending on length, it weighs about the same as a kellet AND I can recover it over the rollers without leaning or straining. Much easier. I attach it with a prussik where ever I need it.

But it also a multi-purpose tool. I can use it to tie off to rough docks, wrap around a rock, weight a drogue, or as part of the rode on that third anchor. A chum, on the other hand, is single-purpose dead weight that I have to lug around. inefficient at best.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    But it also a multi-purpose tool. I can use it to tie off to rough docks, wrap around a rock, weight a drogue, or as part of the rode on that third anchor. A chum, on the other hand, is single-purpose dead weight that I have to lug around. inefficient at best.
    I'm wondering if we're about to witness the beginning of a thread on 'The Best Kellett' - and a multipage argument about what to call them....

My favorite kellet is a loop of chain. Depending on length, it weighs about the same as a kellet AND I can recover it over the rollers without leaning or straining. Much easier. I attach it with a prussik where ever I need it.

I think the best “chum” or “kellet” is a dedicated lead weight, but I agree with Thinwater a length of chain is almost as good, with a multitude of uses. Best of all a short length of still well galvanised chain can usually be found at little or no cost. Much better than the £160 quoted in post #1.

A second anchor is often suggested as chum. This does have a little more drag along the seabed and is a reasonable choice, but it is difficult to deploy and recover without a risk of scratching the gelcoat. Unfortunately once deployed as a chum the secondary anchor is no longer available for its intended purpose. Conditions where a chum is deployed is often the sort of situation where a second anchor is most likely to be needed.

So a length of chain would also win my vote, but if I used a rope rode a dedicated lead chum might be justified. If you make your own the cost is still minimal, although molten lead needs some care.
    Last edited by noelex; 08-06-19 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    So a length of chain would also win my vote,
    I suspect Neeves, Thinwater and I have the same 'take' on this business of chums/angels/kellets ( and my spellchecker is having fits! ). The circumstances are rare when it is needed, and a spare length of chain - or even a small spare anchor - will do the job.

I'm privileged in having a good choice of anchors, albeit in a small boat, and I have shipped for many years a few lengths of spare chain with shackles, for the kind of circumstance that Thinwater suggests. Rough weather and rough quaysides often require robust mooring arrangements e.g. rusty quay rings, crumbled granite quaystone edges, laid-up trawler bulwarks for one's long lines to run over....

They also serve should one want to deploy a second ( or third ) anchor..... not something that the Lake Solent types contemplate, but a real likelihood if one ventures anywhere North and West of Lanz-en.

Here's an example of an 'at times' good anchorage I used to favour.... but not In Season, when it resembles a Sainsbury's Car Park on a Sunday lunchtime. Should one arrive around the time of High Water, one could be forgiven for wondering why the score of yots already there are clustered tightly together in the left-hand half...... but not for long!

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I'm wondering if we're about to witness the beginning of a thread on 'The Best Kellett' - and a multipage argument about what to call them....
    OK, I throw down the gauntlet. Find a respected source that defines the terms. Not just some schmoes web site. I'm serious. I looked in Oxford, Cambridge, and Websters and came up empty. I was sure something would come up. Thus, it is a valid question. We should not use words that lack and agreed meaning, or we should document the correct meaning and usage.

Sailors recognize all three, but I can't see how any of them could be called standard usage.

* Anchor sentinel, or just sentinel. This is occasionally found in lists and is the most common term in the US.
    * Kellet is also common in the US.
    * Chum is corny for "buddy." Also fish guts used to attract bluefish and sharks. Chum as an anchor weight is WAY down the list of common usage. Most boaters would figure you meant bait.

OK, I throw down the gauntlet. Find a respected source that defines the terms. Not just some schmoes web site. I'm serious. I looked in Oxford, Cambridge, and Websters and came up empty. I was sure something would come up. Thus, it is a valid question. We should not use words that lack and agreed meaning, or we should document the correct meaning and usage.

Sailors recognize all three, but I can't see how any of them could be called standard usage.

* Anchor sentinel, or just sentinel. This is occasionally found in lists and is the most common term in the US.
    * Kellet is also common in the US.
    * Chum is corny for "buddy." Also fish guts used to attract bluefish and sharks. Chum as an anchor weight is WAY down the list of common usage. Most boaters would figure you meant bait.

Chum or Angel in the UK, I think.

What you call Chum is Rubby Dubby in the UK
    (except the cool dictionary now tells me it is urban argot for sex in a shower, well I never)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast