Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Caterpillar C9 engine snags?

CAT life there charge air coolers after loosing a class action in the states for 5 or 7 years .
    So check where they are on that cycle ,a throw away part .
    They inadvertently outsourced to a supplier who used many dissimilar metals, and the anodes dried out with disastrous results for the owners and themselves in court .

Not sure if the C9 of that year escaped ?
    You need to check all this out.

Just google “CAT intercoolers problems “or “class action “

There were known common problems with fuel injectors wearing prematurely and these caused both black and white smoke from the exhaust, and didn't leave a fault code in most instances.

On many models of the ACERT they had several dodgy sensors and these masked the original symptoms by creating their own and they require a multi meter test to test their working range or resistance as other sensors tried to compensate and additional fuel was injected to give black smoke and this also indicated injectors when a simple sensor was the problem, and much cheaper to replace.

Other problems were wiring problems and generally these were bad wiring joints at multi plugs being made from crap and corroding and corrupting the signals to the ECU and either slack and improperly supported wiring which moved excessively and rubbed through, or they were too tight and didn't have sufficient slack and were pulled back and out of the multiplugs.

Boost pressure sensors were the worst, followed by airflow sensors.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Thanks so far everybody
    Just tried to answer PM's etc and post replies on here
    Have a problem, either my lap top or broadband thing
    Just took ages to get this answer to post
    Might need to change the oil and filter
    back as soon as
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

'Bump'
    Chaps
    Sorry to Bump this query up
    a Friend is looking to purchase a boat with the C 9 CAT's installed but is worried about the Lumps
    His and My researches have revealed some nasties regarding the engine
    I must admit most 'snags' seem to be related to the Automotive world/usage
    He has spoken to a very good chap from 'Finnings' the 'CAT' people based ' darn sarf'
    Who says the problems we have come across during quite intensive research are related to the 'Huhie' (spelling) system that feeds the engine oil to the timing of the ignition and valves etc

He has seen another very similar vessel for sale which has the CUMMINS QSC 8 .3 's installed, which seem to have no problems
    'Lakesailor1
    Anybody?
    Are we being over cautious?
    I must admit before this search for a boat
    CAT engines I always though bullet proof and one of the best for the Marine enviroment
    As usual People
    Your thoughts, advice and experiences gratfully received

Not really a problem if the correct lubricants and service intervals were observed as most problems in this area arose mainly from using the wrong lubricants and not changing them at the correct schedules, therefore a service history is a vital clue to establishing these.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki View Post

He has seen another very similar vessel for sale which has the CUMMINS QSC 8 .3 's installed, which seem to have no problems
    'Lakesailor1
    Anybody?........
    Our Cummins guru is Latestarter1...Lakesailor is the dinghy sailer from Windermere.
    Sorry can't advise on the Cats. You might be able to flush Latestarter out with a thread heading mentioning Cummins in the title?

We had a QSC 8.3 500hp in our Lochin for 8 years, amazing engines, nothing other than regular maintenance and never skipped a beat👌🏻

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    Our Cummins guru is Latestarter1...Lakesailor is the dinghy sailer from Windermere.
    Sorry can't advise on the Cats. You might be able to flush Latestarter out with a thread heading mentioning Cummins in the title?
    Rollocks, I just came in and logged on here because summatt in the back of my mind said to me'Oh No you wrote Lakesailor not Latestarter' Sorry, its an age thing I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Star View Post
    We had a QSC 8.3 500hp in our Lochin for 8 years, amazing engines, nothing other than regular maintenance and never skipped a beat����
    Thank you. Yes from research its seems the QSC range is bereft of any snags the C9 seems a little tainted with

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Not really a problem if the correct lubricants and service intervals were observed as most problems in this area arose mainly from using the wrong lubricants and not changing them at the correct schedules, therefore a service history is a vital clue to establishing these.
    Thanks for that Assasin, snag is the vessel in question at the moment seems to have an 8 year gap in proven service history, which the Vendor seems to have lost temporarily!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12