Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Burnham on Crouch to Ramsgate

We planing to leave Burnham, going to south coats, Portsmouth. Most likely first port of call will be Ramsgate.
    Around 50 nm going trough Princes Channel. What would be the best time to live Burnham regarding tides HW Dover?
    Would you rather use other route with 36' sailing boat 6' draft. Our Crossing Thames Estuary book is on board....
    Thanks

Default Re: Burnham on Crouch to Ramsgate

My book is on board too. Gut feeling is to leave Burnham an hour before HW and use the tide to get out to the SW Sunk and then use Foulgers or Fishermans Gat. Bashing out of the Crouch against the tide is one of my least favourite things.

The boss will be along soon no doubt.
    Not all who wander are lost

Currently behind hand doing the weekly notices to mariners but I'll try to catch up. What average boat speed do you reckon (i.e. through the water, not over the ground)?

Yes, the SW Sunk is fine for a 6ft draught yacht.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

I guess 5/6 knots, she is very new to us, so trying to do safe route, Thanks!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    My book is on board too. Gut feeling is to leave Burnham an hour before HW and use the tide to get out to the SW Sunk and then use Foulgers or Fishermans Gat. Bashing out of the Crouch against the tide is one of my least favourite things.

The boss will be along soon no doubt.

Oh how I hate this YBW forum! Loosing threads, bombarded by adverts that jam the Adblocker.
    I am typing this via Word in the hopes I can paste this into the thread before it wipes again, again, again…..

The timings are based between the Crouch waypoint and the Ramsgit waypoint. The Crouch ‘Landfall’ wpt is between the Whitaker Nos 7 and 6 so you will need to estimate the timing to get to the Crouch wpt.

Crouch to Ramsgit via West Swin and Princes Channel – 40.46nm

At 5kts on Springs – best duration is 7hrs 20 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at -2.30 or -2.15 before HW Sheerness. On Neaps best duration would be 7hrs 30 minutes at the same departure time.
    At 6kts on Springs – best duration is 6hrs 12 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at -2.00 or -1.45 before HW Sheerness. On Neaps best duration is 6hrs 19 minutes at -1.45 or -1.30 before Sheerness

Crouch to Ramsgit via SW Sunk and Fisherman’s Gat – 31.42nm

At 5lts on Springs best duration is 5 hrs 17 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at +2.00 after HW Sheerness – there is a window where the duration is but a few minutes longer between +1.15 to +2.45 after Sheerness. On Neaps, 5hrs 34 minutes at +1.45 after HW Sheerness – the window is the same.
    On 6kts on Springs, best duration is 4hrs 29 minutes at +2.30 after HW Sheerness – the window for want of a few minutes is +1.45 to +3.30 after HW Sheerness. On Neaps, best duration is 4 hrs 42 minutes at +2.45 after HW Sheerness – the window is the same.

You could go via the Little Sunk and Foulger’s Gat if you wanted to – 36.44nm.
    By all means, ask anything… oh don’t ask me if there is a sensible politician. Don’t know that.

There. Over 250 ads blocked while pasting that!
    Last edited by tillergirl; 03-06-19 at 20:09.

Let me add.
    To get the best tides through the Princes you have to endure adverse tide on the Crouch. To get beneficial tides on the Crouch the timing will ensure you get adverse tide in the Princes.
    If you go via the SW Sunk and Fisherman’s you get good tide in the Crouch and you can nearly ride the green lights (good tides) all the way to Ramsgate. The ‘nearly’ qualifies the comment as there are two cross tide sectors which doesn’t help but only adds a couple of minutes.
    Frankly there is no way of wriggling out of the adverse tide on the Crouch via the Princes. What I mean by that is even if you trying to avoid the worse of the adverse tide, overall you won’t benefit much. On the SW Sunk and Fisherman’s route there is the benefit of the ‘window’ to which I referred.

Fantastic, thanks so much for this! Great!
    SW Sunk and Fisherman’s Gat it is!
    I'll let you know how it went

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Oh how I hate this YBW forum! Loosing threads, bombarded by adverts that jam the Adblocker.
    I am typing this via Word in the hopes I can paste this into the thread before it wipes again, again, again…..

The timings are based between the Crouch waypoint and the Ramsgit waypoint. The Crouch ‘Landfall’ wpt is between the Whitaker Nos 7 and 6 so you will need to estimate the timing to get to the Crouch wpt.

Crouch to Ramsgit via West Swin and Princes Channel – 40.46nm

At 5kts on Springs – best duration is 7hrs 20 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at -2.30 or -2.15 before HW Sheerness. On Neaps best duration would be 7hrs 30 minutes at the same departure time.
    At 6kts on Springs – best duration is 6hrs 12 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at -2.00 or -1.45 before HW Sheerness. On Neaps best duration is 6hrs 19 minutes at -1.45 or -1.30 before Sheerness

Crouch to Ramsgit via SW Sunk and Fisherman’s Gat – 31.42nm

At 5lts on Springs best duration is 5 hrs 17 minutes departing the Crouch wpt at +2.00 after HW Sheerness – there is a window where the duration is but a few minutes longer between +1.15 to +2.45 after Sheerness. On Neaps, 5hrs 34 minutes at +1.45 after HW Sheerness – the window is the same.
    On 6kts on Springs, best duration is 4hrs 29 minutes at +2.30 after HW Sheerness – the window for want of a few minutes is +1.45 to +3.30 after HW Sheerness. On Neaps, best duration is 4 hrs 42 minutes at +2.45 after HW Sheerness – the window is the same.

You could go via the Little Sunk and Foulger’s Gat if you wanted to – 36.44nm.
    By all means, ask anything… oh don’t ask me if there is a sensible politician. Don’t know that.

There. Over 250 ads blocked while pasting that!

Good. Have you downloaded this year's chartlet - the waypoints for the SW Sunk were slightly altered - courtesy of Plum's assistance.

No, I didn't , where from? Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Good. Have you downloaded this year's chartlet - the waypoints for the SW Sunk were slightly altered - courtesy of Plum's assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast