Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast

Default What did PhillM do wrong?

We might as well pile in as per form and have a session.

Was it the Chinks spoofing the GPS?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

PhillM?

[EDIT] Ah .... I've now worked my way down the threads and found PhillM's story. A link would have been helpful for when PhillM's thread is not the top dog.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 04-06-19 at 07:33.

And the answer is ...... he hit the rocks.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    A link would have been helpful for when PhillM's thread is not the top dog.
    Or for those reading on a phone, where the thread originator is not shown.

I hope Phil doesnít mind us discussing his misfortune.

Iím going to guess that Paean doesnít have a plotter in the cockpit?

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 04-06-19 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    We might as well pile in as per form and have a session.

Was it the Chinks spoofing the GPS?
    Can anyone translate this into English, please?

Lateral thinking wot and trying to come up with the most outlandish suggestion.

You need first to read his thread where he is praising Pants. ...
    PS, I would not has started this if not for all's well that ends well as a
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Lateral thinking wot and trying to come up with the most outlandish suggestion.

You need first to read his thread where he is praising Pants. ...
    PS, I would not has started this if not for all's well that ends well as a
    If that's a translation into English can we have the Latin version? It might make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    If that's a translation into English can we have the Latin version? It might make more sense.
    Veni, non vidi, sinki?

PhilM grounded boat as detailed in this thread:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...nius-insurance

The OP is opening a discussion on possible reasons for the grounding, offering the opinion of possible Chinese state interference with the GPS system. Not sure if there is any evidence to support this.

At least that's my understanding.

Here is my statement on the incident. At the below it some ideas about how I could have prevented this accident.

The passage upon which the incident happened was the delivery from Hamble to Plymouth, prior to the Jester Baltimore Challenge. I have previously sailed past Plymouth several times, but not entered before. It appeared to me to be a large, safe port of refuge, so I was not expecting to find entry difficult.

I left my home port (Hamble) around midday on Wednesday 26th May. I sailed all afternoon, experimenting with the new wind vane and reefing systems, then berthed in Cowes. Next morning (Thursday) I left for Plymouth at 0745. Wind was F5/6 WSW (so on the nose). I motor sailed down the Solent and exited via the Needles North Channel. I then turned off the motor and sailed close-hauled out of Christchurch bay. By late afternoon, I was fighting the flood tide, south of the Needles (about 180 T, 12 miles or so off). After the ebb started, I used this to my advantage and by about midnight I had passed St Albans Head. I planned to pass well south of Portland Bill, which I achieved by about midday on Thursday 27th (using a cycle of stemming the flood and making the most of the ebb tides). The wind then dropped to F2 or less variable, so I motor sailed across Lyme Bay.

I arrived in the vicinity of Start Point around 5 p.m. but again had to fight the tide. Winds were variable and then non-existent. Fog patches appeared. There was a lot of shipping about. I was concerned that large ships were neither using their foghorn nor altering speed to take account of the conditions. I was concerned about being run down, so plotted their courses using AIS receive (part of the Standard Horizon VHF radio) and took action to avoid getting to close inshore at the headland, as this is where the ships mainly were.

I slowly made my way around the headland about 3-4 miles off. By mid-evening I was making my down past Bolt Tail and in towards Plymouth, albeit the ebb tide that had helped me to pass the headland was now heading me off, so progress was slow. As I started to motor passed Bigbury Bay, there was a combination of mist and fog, which was confusing. I kept my speed down and eventually arrived outside of Plymouth around midnight.

I decided that my choice was to stay out, but risk being run down by shipping in the fog, or check out the entrances to see if they were viable. I looked at the Eastern entrance and decided against entry. I then motored back west to see what the Western entrance looked like. At about 2 a.m. I identified a Red light, that I thought was the Draystone and followed it and a series of what looked to me in the mist as the sector lights for the Western entrance. My plotter (Garmin Dragonfly 5) on high zoom appeared to confirm what I thought I was seeing. Shortly after, however, my plotter lost the ability to see satellites and stopped working. I had the Reeds almanac open, as well as my pen and paper plan (prepared pre-passage). Furthermore, I could see a line of ships moored behind what looked like a breakwater, this gave me confidence that the lights that I was following would take me into safety.

What I thought was the Western entrance wasn't. After the three white lights, I saw a set of R/G but not where I was expecting them to be. As I slowed down to tick-over, so as to consider what to do next, I ran into submerged rocks. Having heard a lot of water rush around upon impact, seeing more water than expected in the bilge and listing, I called Mayday. While waiting for the Lifeboat, I inflated my (rental) liferaft and activated my lifejacket worn PLB. My thinking being that these might not be needed but I would rather everything ready, just in case. Police Launch Endeavour and RNLI ILB both attended and between them towed me into Mayflower marina.

On reflection:

Simply stayed out and not attempted entry until daylight.

Installed an AIS transponder, so as to be less worried about fast moving ships, in fog.

At Start Point, instead of fighting the tide, I could have turned for Dartmouth. That would have also taken me away from the fog banks around the headland.

Planned a port of refuge or anchorage in case my destination was inaccessible. I had considered that Plymouth WAS my port of refuge, so not planned a backup.

Now over to the forum to add to my knowledge and ideas bank.

Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast