Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

Just as a point of interest.

There are few dangerous rocks in the area where Phil found himself. The Shagstone (already mentioned in the other thread) is one obvious example as it rises almost vertically out of deep water and is unlit - which is why I speculated about it. Anchoring in 10m would give you a good chance of not hitting anything and not getting in the way.

It's my home port and I rarely enter at night but (like the others) almost always choose to anchor in Cawsand Bay

I have one of these for backup:

cf-lg.jpg

In fact it was my sole piece of kit for many years. It has got a built in map of half the universe which is great. Very crude but certainly good enough to get into safe water and you can add waypoints (which will be accurate) to your hearts content.
    Cheap way of having a back up "chart plotter"

I find it difficult to pick complex sectored lights so tend not to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Echo sounder are often not particularly helpful in rocky locations. Can go from 10m (or a lot more) to nil in less than a boatslength amongst rocks
    At least in fairly rocky locations, the ground is unlikely to have moved much since the chart was published.
    Looking at the chart in the other thread, it seems there is plenty of scope for heading in, between the 5 and 10m contours.
    But really, you need someone on deck and someone working the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I think, truth be told, even the best of us have had our 'egg on face' moments. Sometimes, expensive ones.....

There are quite a few positives PhillM can take away from this passage....

First, he and his boat managed a singlehanded passage of ~ 150 miles, away from home waters. So the boat/owner combo is up to the job. .....
    That's a little bit like the flight was OK but the crash wasn't optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Unfortunately the OP lost his GPS signal and very quickly thereafter his position so waypoints or not he was into blind navigation with no start point. A very unenviable position which many of us have been close to when running for hours on end relying on a GPS and a position plotted an hour or more ago.
    Exactly, so knowing where to anchor isn't a great help.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    That's a little bit like the flight was OK but the crash wasn't optimal.
    In mil aviation circles last century, there was much wholly-warranted focus on the the significant problems of 'the last mile'. Airmanship and seamanship are but two sides of the same coin.

Also..... "any landing you can walk away from is a good one."

Plenty of celebrated sailors with books to their names have had a close encounter with the 'terra very firma'. PhillM hasn't lost his boat; he hasn't lost his life or limbs. He has learned some damned expensive lessons, cheaply.

Me, I'm looking forward to reading chapters 2, 3 and 4 of this adventure.

It just proves that most of us have done daft things and been lucky enough to get away with it.
    Yup, Passe Percée for me, poor visibility, and if the tripper boat hadn't tooted and waved I dread to think what we'd have hit.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I took a boat into Hugh Town, St Mary’s, in a fog, under the impression that I was entering Falmouth.

That episode used up my remaining supply of beginner’s luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I took a boat into Hugh Town, St Mary’s, in a fog, under the impression that I was entering Falmouth.

That episode used up my remaining supply of beginner’s luck.
    You are sir Sir Cloudesley Shovell and I claim my 5 guineas.

You are sir Sir Cloudesley Shovell and I claim my 5 guineas.
    laughing emoji.gif
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    We notice when we're on the Eurotunnel train that sometimes the satnav puts the car icon bang on the railway track shown on the map for 5 or 10 seconds but then it suddenly decides that a car can't run on a railway track so it flips the icon over 100 yards to stick in on the nearest stretch of road. A few seconds later it decides that the road is too far away, so we're back on the railway etc etc.

Richard
    I really dont think that a car gps system uses gyros or wheel speed. The software might do a bit of guessing, thats all.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast