Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 190
  1. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    What 'steveeasy' and perhaps others have missed is that the lights provision is made for the needs and benefit of commercial and naval shipping, and not the occasional amateur yottie who passes by.

    Put another way, what's there is intended to meet the needs of those wot pays the Light Dues. And it's my understanding that the fixed navigation resources and the people who support them provide a high standard as such things go.

    I will not be critical of PhillM, but those other blinkered types who rabbit on here at length could do with a short sharp dose of basic seamanship. Get your heads out of your I-pads and learn something of 'the ordinary practice of seamen'..... IMHO, of course.


    Zoidberg,
    Oh sorry for making one slight observation. Perhaps I should have thought twice. blinkered, who rabbit on here at length. short sharp dose of basic seamanship. never had an ipad. cant remember being rude. just an observation, YOU form a small minority of miserable moaning old goats who frequent the forum that think they can be abusive. don't. its not fitting and makes you look an idiot.

    Steveeasy

    edit.
    whilst I read your message as being rude and offensive towards me, perhaps Ive taken your post in the wrong spirit. I apologise for my response.

    Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 07-06-19 at 07:34.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SPAIN,Galicia
    Posts
    12,553

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    It’s very easy to become disoriented in fog I recall being off the hook of holland and theskipper wanted to turn right into the waterway but observing the radar we had to turn left as we had passed the entrance coming from the south and where north of the entrance.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Grenoble
    Posts
    30,705

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    HERE IT COMES

    Zoidberg,
    Oh sorry for making one slight observation. Perhaps I should have thought twice. blinkered, who rabbit on here at length. short sharp dose of basic seamanship. never had an ipad. cant remember being rude. just an observation, YOU form a small minority of miserable moaning old goats who frequent the forum that think they can be abusive. don't. its not fitting and makes you look an idiot.

    Steveeasy
    You ended your post with "perhaps I have missed something specific" You did the OP was lost unaware of his position he had a circle of uncertainty in it that contained several significant and dangerous hazards. If even by dead reckoning and using contours he had narrowed his position down he could have navigated to safety easily. There will be many of us who have undergone a blind navigation exercise to simulate precisely that scenario not quite in a life or death situation but stressful enough in the sense of pass or fail.

    Plymouth is nothing special or difficult in terms of navigation and its lights, yes it does have a myriad of confusing lights and unlit hazards just have many others the Solent being a good example of large unlit mooring buoys and confusing background lights. No one has mentioned the bell on the end of the breakwater fog doesn't interfere with that.

    I can only assume that you are speaking from relative inexperience and as such your comments are to some extent understandable although not correct.

    This is my last word on this subject, Phill should be allowed to lick his wounds and digest all the information and advice he has been given and put his experience in the learned from that folder. He has been gracious and honest enough to post about his mistakes and misfortune that have given him and possibly a few other food for thought and a little advice and learning.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    20,479

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Excellent post, thanks.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Port Bannatyne
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    What did he do wrong? Single handed overnight passage inshore. Inshore is not the place to be when tired and in the dark.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    You ended your post with "perhaps I have missed something specific" You did the OP was lost unaware of his position he had a circle of uncertainty in it that contained several significant and dangerous hazards. If even by dead reckoning and using contours he had narrowed his position down he could have navigated to safety easily. There will be many of us who have undergone a blind navigation exercise to simulate precisely that scenario not quite in a life or death situation but stressful enough in the sense of pass or fail.

    Plymouth is nothing special or difficult in terms of navigation and its lights, yes it does have a myriad of confusing lights and unlit hazards just have many others the Solent being a good example of large unlit mooring buoys and confusing background lights. No one has mentioned the bell on the end of the breakwater fog doesn't interfere with that.

    I can only assume that you are speaking from relative inexperience and as such your comments are to some extent understandable although not correct.

    This is my last word on this subject, Phill should be allowed to lick his wounds and digest all the information and advice he has been given and put his experience in the learned from that folder. He has been gracious and honest enough to post about his mistakes and misfortune that have given him and possibly a few other food for thought and a little advice and learning.
    Yes whatever. All I merely pointed out was there seamed a lack of Marker buoys in the main channel, and the anchorages could hinder navigation in certain weather. Of course to those that frequent Plymouth , No Problem. the whole point is that if you know somewhere your fine. If its a new port and you've not been there, it could be difficult. Id rather be sailing in the Solent or up the Hamble in FOG rather than a new port such as Plymouth. Yes the Bell would be very useful.

    Ive not been there. I will be in two weeks time. ill probably avoid going in in darkness, and im sure everything will be clear to me, especially following the thread.

    Steveeasy

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    19,435

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I will not be critical of PhillM, but those other blinkered types who rabbit on here at length could do with a short sharp dose of basic seamanship. Get your heads out of your I-pads and learn something of 'the ordinary practice of seamen'..... IMHO, of course.
    PhillM himself says "Just to say thank you again to everyone for the constructive way in which the thread has gone. There is plenty to learn and plenty of excellent advice. I will take time to summarise at some stage. Lots of great experiences shared and I for one feel that I will be a better sailor for it." and in that spirit we can all become better sailors by discussing such events.

    Your comments are clearly unwarranted and inappropriate so please delete them and apologise to Steve.

    Richard

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    5,486

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    (...) Inshore is not the place to be when tired and in the dark.
    +100%
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    21,159

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post

    Ive not been there. I will be in two weeks time. ill probably avoid going in in darkness, and im sure everything will be clear to me, especially following the thread.

    Steveeasy
    I hope people don’t avoid Plymouth by night. It’s one of the best lit ports you can find anywhere in the world. The possible confusion is that there are so many lights! With so many background lights you just need to take your time to look for and positively identify where the navigation marks are. (e.g. The isophase on the end of the W end of the breakwater is a key mark for me.)

    I once was approaching a Caribbean island after several weeks at sea. I’d been speaking to another boat already in port who reassured me the nav mark lights were all working (bar one) which is always reassuring to know in the Carib! I briefed the crew on our entrance. One of them asked whether we should stay at sea for the night and enter when it got light. I’m still slightly bemused by his question. (And we were safely tied up alongside a few hours later drinking our first Rum Punches...)

    When there’s a plethora of lights, stopping and looking carefully (through binoculars if necessary) and then timing the light to positively identify it helps avoid confusion.
    Semper aliud

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    5,486

    Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    . One of them asked whether we should stay at sea for the night and enter when it got light. Iím still slightly bemused by his question. (And we were safely tied up alongside a few hours later drinking our first Rum Punches...)
    .
    I don't see why you should be bemused* by what might have seemed to him a perfectly seamanlike course of action.

    * Bemuse, v.t. : Stupefy (Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English, 5th edition, OUP)
    Last edited by Poignard; 07-06-19 at 11:51.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to