Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819

Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

Well I am back! Collected Paean last Saturday with the help of Zoidberg of this parish. Spent a few days in Mayflower, getting her back into operational shape. Walked up and surveyed the harbour from the Hoe. Did another pilotage plan and then sailed to Fowey and back. Spent a day on a friends boat and had a look at the Yealm and Cawsands bay/anchorage.

Now currently in Dartmouth and tomorrow heading for Torquay. Later this week or next, heading for Cherbourg.

Met with Lee from Seafeather and tuned my wind vane install... thatís another story and Iíll post later about that.

I have learned a lot so far this season. Also a lot from this thread. Thanks to everyone who has offered advise and constructive criticism. All very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Well I am back! Collected Paean last Saturday with the help of Zoidberg of this parish. Spent a few days in Mayflower, getting her back into operational shape. Walked up and surveyed the harbour from the Hoe. Did another pilotage plan and then sailed to Fowey and back. Spent a day on a friends boat and had a look at the Yealm and Cawsands bay/anchorage.

Now currently in Dartmouth and tomorrow heading for Torquay. Later this week or next, heading for Cherbourg.

Met with Lee from Seafeather and tuned my wind vane install... that’s another story and I’ll post later about that.

I have learned a lot so far this season. Also a lot from this thread. Thanks to everyone who has offered advise and constructive criticism. All very helpful.

Very happy to hear things are turning out in the right direction.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

HiPhilM,
    Glad your back on the water. I did follow in your footsteps in more ways than you might think. I am pleased to say everything went well. I sailed in to Plymouth on Saturday and reflected on your posts.

My trip went fine right up until I the last moment when I should have stayed on the boat for the last night. my tender outboard failed at 2am and I ended up clutching a mooring buoy. oars were useless.

Start Point offered some great sailing late last week with the massive breaking waves, as did around Brixham towards Dartmouth. Falmouth obliged with some tremendous sailing winds also. Salcombe was a delight. Hope you have fun.

Steveeasy

Was that you at Cargreen that we towed in?

Quote Originally Posted by humbug716 View Post
    Was that you at Cargreen that we towed in?
    No I was picked up from just south of Fort Picklecoombe.

PhilM,
    I said I followed in your footsteps in more ways than one. When we finally moored on a swinging mooring at 1ish in the morning, we filled the tender with gear and the outboard would not start. so out came the oars and we got swept down the river. we ended up clinging to a mooring bouy in complete darkness.

Pathetic. Should have stayed on the boat till morning, but I had third partys involved and ended up going with the flow, pardon the pun!!.

Steveeasy

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    PhilM,
    I said I followed in your footsteps in more ways than one. When we finally moored on a swinging mooring at 1ish in the morning, we filled the tender with gear and the outboard would not start. so out came the oars and we got swept down the river. we ended up clinging to a mooring bouy in complete darkness.

Pathetic. Should have stayed on the boat till morning, but I had third partys involved and ended up going with the flow, pardon the pun!!.

Steveeasy
    Steve, it sounds to me that you had an excellent cruise and even at the end you had a backup plan. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! Another lessons for us all there. Thanks for sharing as I think the power of this forum is that through honestly admitting mistakes, we all learn. Glad you got home safe. Fair winds for the rest of the season.

Phill

And.... and.... Phill did manage to find the best 'wood butcher' in the West Country - whose finished craftsmanship is spoken of in hushed tones among pro restorers - to fix his wee bit chafed planking.

All's well that ends well.

Shh donít tell anyone, but he also found and fixed (at my expense) a few other issues that were due to be dealt with at some stage. She is better founded now than pre-accident. Which is of course always a bonus. Overall I am delighted with the outcome. Not an experience that I would wish to repeat, but as Ziodbeeg says. Alls well...

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819