Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: What did PhillM do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    The RNLI called it "Castle Rocks". It appears to be west of the Eastern entrance. What I find hard to work out is how I actually ended up North of the breakwater, as when they towed me to Mayflower it was both without having to pass the breakwater and directly past some anchored ships (which is why I thought I was in safe water).
    That has me more than a little puzzled, for having peered at BA0030 - PLYMOUTH SOUND AND APPROACHES in detail, I don't see a 'Castle Rocks'. The question remains....

It is more than possible to become disoriented in 'the foggy, foggy dew' day or night, and more than a couple of experienced skippers have come to grief around there..... one was a Belgian OSTAR entrant who, with a full crew, ran hard onto the breakwater. Another was the RYA Yachtmaster skipper of 'KISHMUL OF AYR' who, seriously over-tired, ran hard onto Rennie's Rocks about 1 mile SE and short of the Eastern Entrance. Each of those resulted in a fatality. It is speculated, for we cannot know with certainly, that fatigue-influenced complacency subverted judgement.

It's more than a pity that the OP didn't identify Cawsand Bay, SW of the breakwater end, as a safe and easily-approached anchorage and built it into his 'pilotage plan' for entry into an unfamiliar haven. I do believe it has been mentioned before in a related thread....

It doesn't now help PhillM but may act as a reminder to others: I taught this to my students. I do it myself.

When anything other than certain, don't continue. STOP THE BOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    That has me more than a little puzzled, for having peered at BA0030 - PLYMOUTH SOUND AND APPROACHES in detail, I don't see a 'Castle Rocks'. The question remains....

It is more than possible to become disoriented in 'the foggy, foggy dew' day or night, and more than a couple of experienced skippers have come to grief around there..... one was a Belgian OSTAR entrant who, with a full crew, ran hard onto the breakwater. Another was the RYA Yachtmaster skipper of 'KISHMUL OF AYR' who, seriously over-tired, ran hard onto Rennie's Rocks about 1 mile SE and short of the Eastern Entrance. Each of those resulted in a fatality. It is speculated, for we cannot know with certainly, that fatigue-influenced complacency subverted judgement.

It's more than a pity that the OP didn't identify Cawsand Bay, SW of the breakwater end, as a safe and easily-approached anchorage and built it into his 'pilotage plan' for entry into an unfamiliar haven. I do believe it has been mentioned before in a related thread....

It doesn't now help PhillM but may act as a reminder to others: I taught this to my students. I do it myself.

When anything other than certain, don't continue. STOP THE BOAT.

I can't find Castle Rocks either. I'm also confused about Phill's statement;

I looked at the Eastern entrance and decided against entry. I then motored back west to see what the Western entrance looked like.
    It may just be grammar; but coming from the east wouldn't you be motoring back to the east after looking at the western entrance?

Cawsand sometimes has large vessels at anchor. Closer inshore there are small boats moored and anchored. But once inside the 5m contour it's unlikely you'll meet anything big.

Very glad Phil is uninjured and able to tell the tale.

I don't have a position, but this is what I can remember about where the rocks were. I had passed a couple of what looked to me to be sector lights. To Starboard there was a r /g pair and just to starboard of them were some anchored ships.

Ahead of me appeared to be a pool/ bay with a large circular block of flats ahead to port (and I do mean flats and not the fort). When the Police launch and RNLI towed me we first headed past the anchored ships and took a wide turn to port, then a tighter turn to starboard into Mayflower marina. I am pretty sure I was inside the breakwater as I think I could see it behind the anchored ships. The RNLI chap told me I was at the eastern end. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will be able to shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    That has me more than a little puzzled, for having peered at BA0030 - PLYMOUTH SOUND AND APPROACHES in detail, I don't see a 'Castle Rocks'.
    Maybe it's Staddon Pt off Fort Bovisand. There is sailing water around Duke Rock
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Pleased you have posted Phil. Thanks.
    I wonder if Fort Rock = Castle rock too
    Only looking at LadyInBed's chart and now his similar reply..........

Ahead of me appeared to be a pool/ bay with a large circular block of flats ahead to port (and I do mean flats and not the fort). When the Police launch and RNLI towed me we first headed past the anchored ships and took a wide turn to port, then a tighter turn to starboard into Mayflower marina. I am pretty sure I was inside the breakwater as I think I could see it behind the anchored ships. The RNLI chap told me I was at the eastern end. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will be able to shed some light.
    Now I am really confused. Like others, I cannot find a reference to Castle Rocks. and the only 'large circular block of flats' that I know of are the apartments at Fort Picklecombe, but they are on the western side.
    Last edited by Appledore; 04-06-19 at 16:37.

I don't have a position, but this is what I can remember about where the rocks were. I had passed a couple of what looked to me to be sector lights. To Starboard there was a r /g pair and just to starboard of them were some anchored ships.

Circular and modern flats sounds like a small block near Mount Batten. Was it these?
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35...=en&authuser=0

Quote Originally Posted by Appledore View Post
    Now I am really confused. Like others, I cannot find a reference to Castle Rocks. and the only 'large circular block of flats' that I know of are the apartments at Fort Picklecombe, but they are on the western side.
    Thats it! Fort Picklecombe - Just looked at the picture and recognise it. I thought it looked like a marina of some description ahead. That was part of my confusion.

It looks like I did come in the Western end, which was what I was trying to do and I thought that I had, until the RNLI said I must have come from the Eastern end.

I am glad that we got that sorted!

Default Re: What PhillM did right ?

I think the title is wrong. So many positive things from the accident: skipper OK, boat mended, excellent analysis, lessons learned... "

"What PhillM did right"
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Thats it! Fort Picklecombe - Just looked at the picture and recognise it. I thought it looked like a marina of some description ahead. That was part of my confusion.

It looks like I did come in the Western end, which was what I was trying to do and I thought that I had, until the RNLI said I must have come from the Eastern end.

I am glad that we got that sorted!
    So would it be right to say that you ran into the mainland coast, rather than running into a small island or shallows or reef or similar actually out in the sea?

I don't know the area at all so that might be a daft question.

Richard

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast