Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hanger storage

Default Hanger storage

Last winter we kept the boat in the water with the intention of occasionally staying on it. Of course, nobody did and it sat there in the water from December to Easter (which was very stormy).

Talking to a fellow berth holder he reckons that we could have it lifted and stored in a shed for the same prices as we pay for our berth over the winter months. Considering we'll need a lift for anodes in the Autumn this almost feels like a no-brainer. The only risk being that we won't be able to secure a space in our current marina (that we like a lot) come the Spring.

What do you reckon?

Default Re: Hanger storage

I didi it in La Rochelle on a 10m boat - E1000 stay for upto 12 months.

To me a no brainier if .....

- storage available ( nothing for larger boats in Mallorca)
    - you won't loose your berth ( or need to keep paying for it to retain)

That is what we do, not by choice, mind . If you can secure a berth to your liking for the next season, it is in my view a no-brainer. The hull has a change to dry out a bit, it's not sat in corroding salt water and is also protected from the sun/rain/dust. Also, depending on the shed, you have guaranteed conditions in which to work on the boat, should you travel over for some off season maintenance. Your boat will be in better condition down the years compared to those kept in the water.

I dont know if there are any further options to consider but I suppose it comes down to how you view your boat. Investment in resale / return or investment for pleasure. If the former no brainer, but if you stand to lose your berth or risk it considerably then pleasure must come first and trust to the integrity of the marina and your insurance policy. This is one of the reasons I did not want to pay hand over fist for something I would be afraid to use to it's fullest. I see so much of that in the marina's already and am of a view that perhaps an investment in return only makes for a bad investment period. Boats are a consumable, use it to it's fullest. Or wear it like jewellery, pride of ownership counts a lot until you're berthed next to a something better, and you invariably are.

I think hangar storage is great idea. I would if I could.

Italian marinas seem keen on it along the Ligurian coast .
    Iíve seen bigger stuff than 78 ft inside and although not quite as good as inside shrink wrapped out side .
    A lot of Italians just boat for a few weeks in the summer and additionally have other motives for hiding high value assets.

Sort of thought about it as Arie d Boom have hangers a short distance inland in a cost neutral sort of way in the sense the winter tenant would sub the hangarage.

Id be concerned by being unable to run up systems , engines , pumps ,valves etc even the windlass and turn the shafts etc etc if it was forgotten in a hanger over the winter .
    You are relying on 3 rd parties to check basic stuff like even if the bats are trickled or not .
    Currently I regularly rtn in the winter off season and run / operate every system up .Thinking rubber seals , o rings impeller longevity etc .

Also blocking off correctly issues leading to potential hull sagging leaky port holes or busted windows , you are rolling the dice more often so eventually are likely to get a double 6 .

Anecdotally last Jan I remove a valve cover ( rocker box in old money ) with a view to reccy a spring valve clearance/ adjust job .
    The engines hadn’t run for over 6 weeks + .
    Inside it was virtually bone dry .As if all the oil not even a film left ,had run down to the sump .
    In May we removed the same covers to do the valves 12 in all 3 days after a run and they were dripping in oil so much so we needed rags to contain the drips .

Similar thing with winter lay ups with 70 s Ferrari’s .The diff and synchros share the same box and oil .
    If left over the winter laid up the diff plates are 1/2 submerged and the oil drains from the top 1/2 .There a vent and air gets in and the now dry top 1/2 s get surface corrosion.
    This manifests it’s self in the spring with diff chatter , they grind doing slow speed turns .Sometimes if lucky and only mild it wears off on a couple 100 miles .
    If unlucky it’s an expensive repair as a result of attempting to be kind to it .
    And that’s not in a salty environment.

So for me with mech stuff I,am in the” use it or loose it camp “

And there’s a lot on a boat to loose .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Id be concerned by being unable to run up systems , engines , pumps ,valves etc even the windlass and turn the shafts etc etc if it was forgotten in a hanger over the winter .
    You are relying on 3 rd parties to check basic stuff like even if the bats are trickled or not .
    Currently I regularly rtn in the winter off season and run / operate every system up .Thinking rubber seals , o rings impeller longevity etc .

Also blocking off correctly issues leading to potential hull sagging leaky port holes or busted windows , you are rolling the dice more often so eventually are likely to get a double 6 .

Anecdotally last Jan I remove a valve cover ( rocker box in old money ) with a view to reccy a spring valve clearance/ adjust job .
    The engines hadn’t run for over 6 weeks + .
    Inside it was virtually bone dry .As if all the oil not even a film left ,had run down to the sump .
    In May we removed the same covers to do the valves 12 in all 3 days after a run and they were dripping in oil so much so we needed rags to contain the drips .

Similar thing with winter lay ups with 70 s Ferrari’s .The diff and synchros share the same box and oil .
    If left over the winter laid up the diff plates are 1/2 submerged and the oil drains from the top 1/2 .There a vent and air gets in and the now dry top 1/2 s get surface corrosion.
    This manifests it’s self in the spring with diff chatter , they grind doing slow speed turns .Sometimes if lucky and only mild it wears off on a couple 100 miles .
    If unlucky it’s an expensive repair as a result of attempting to be kind to it .
    And that’s not in a salty environment.

So for me with mech stuff I,am in the” use it or loose it camp “

And there’s a lot on a boat to loose .
    Agreed, but if you're not going to use it, then it'll be much better off out of the salty environment.
    Plus you won't feel the guilt of not using/checking it when you can't :-)
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

I think if you rent a mooring and you're certain you'll get another when spring comes round then you may as well do it, however there is (as portofino alludes to) a risk (probably small) of damage in the act of transporting it to/from the hanger and blocking it off .

When I looked into it in mallorca the cost of hangering was about the same as the cost of renting a mooring over winter, so I wouldnt save any money there.

There are lots of hangers in mallorca that offer this, but I dont use them because I bought the lease to the mooring, so hangering the boat would be an additional cost. I've been leaving this boat and my previous boat in the water all year round since 2006, with no (touch wood) issues yet.

Despite Porto's efforts to put me off, I think I'll make further enquiries into this. I do quite like the idea of the boat being tucked safely away for the winter and it will give me the opportunity to get various jobs done when things are quiet. I just need to butter up the lady in the marina to improve my chances of getting a berth.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast