Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hanger storage

Default Re: Hanger storage

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Interesting. What do you do for your "winterisation process"?
    LOL, he didn't say processes for nothing, P: the list is rather long...
    I'm on a mobile atm, but will follow up later if nobody else does in the meantime.

Interesting. What do you do for your "winterisation process"?
    Most years I pay someone a lot of money to drain everything, lubricate everything, wash everything, dry store everything, service everything etc etc !

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    LOL, he didn't say processes for nothing, P: the list is rather long...
    I'm on a mobile atm, but will follow up later if nobody else does in the meantime.
    Thanks P, I'd be interested to see what's on your list as mine is rather short!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbore View Post
    Most years I pay someone a lot of money to drain everything, lubricate everything, wash everything, dry store everything, service everything etc etc !
    Thanks BB!

Well, to start with, you should consider that when the boat stays is in the water, it's extremely rare that anything onboard can reach freezing temperature, because the sea water acts as a huge thermal damper. I'm talking of the Med, mind: this might well not be true for UK boaters, let alone Scubaman, for instance...

But, when you put her on the dry, even if in a shed (unless it's a heated one, which do exist but are very rare), and particularly in the northern areas of the Med (N Adriatic being probably the worst in this respect), you must consider anything which can be affected by freezing temperatures:
    - empty fresh water tank + holding tanks + boiler;
    - empty as much as possible the whole fresh water circuit, leaving all taps opened;
    - be sure to have antifreeze where appropriate (engines+genset closed cooling circuit, AC compressor+fancoils circuit);
    - flush with fresh water+antifreezee all raw water circuits (engines+genset+AC+watermaker, if any);

There are also other things typically recommended, when boats are going to be stored and unused for several months, regardless of how cold the weather can be:
    - seal the engine intakes (air filters)+exhausts with cellophane. This is meant to not let moisture find its way inside cylinders, through open valves;
    - for the interiors, it's a good idea to leave mattresses and cushions lifted in some way, with air circulating around them, and also leave the lockers open;
    - fully drying the bilges if wet is another good idea;
    - putting in place some way to keep all batteries topped up, at least periodically, even if the battery switch is (obviously) left off.

...and I am sure to be forgetting something.
    Since I moved to almost African latitudes, winterization is not a real concern anymore!

9E53953D-5146-4861-8FFD-9D14F43161BA.jpeg

Stack the chain on a crate .
    Anyone know why ?

See? I did say that I was surely forgetting something!
    Not that this is strictly necessary when winterizing, but it is indeed good practice to take the opportunity to dry out the chain locker, clean it and possibly paint it if necessary. In pre-chain counter (or plastic chain markers) days, that was also good for repainting the chain marks.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Well, to start with, you should consider that when the boat stays is in the water, it's extremely rare that anything onboard can reach freezing temperature, because the sea water acts as a huge thermal damper. I'm talking of the Med, mind: this might well not be true for UK boaters, let alone Scubaman, for instance...

But, when you put her on the dry, even if in a shed (unless it's a heated one, which do exist but are very rare), and particularly in the northern areas of the Med (N Adriatic being probably the worst in this respect), you must consider anything which can be affected by freezing temperatures:
    - empty fresh water tank + holding tanks + boiler;
    - empty as much as possible the whole fresh water circuit, leaving all taps opened;
    - be sure to have antifreeze where appropriate (engines+genset closed cooling circuit, AC compressor+fancoils circuit);
    - flush with fresh water+antifreezee all raw water circuits (engines+genset+AC+watermaker, if any);

There are also other things typically recommended, when boats are going to be stored and unused for several months, regardless of how cold the weather can be:
    - seal the engine intakes (air filters)+exhausts with cellophane. This is meant to not let moisture find its way inside cylinders, through open valves;
    - for the interiors, it's a good idea to leave mattresses and cushions lifted in some way, with air circulating around them, and also leave the lockers open;
    - fully drying the bilges if wet is another good idea;
    - putting in place some way to keep all batteries topped up, at least periodically, even if the battery switch is (obviously) left off.

...and I am sure to be forgetting something.
    Since I moved to almost African latitudes, winterization is not a real concern anymore!
    Thanks P, that's all standard cold climate precautions but I would be surprised if the SoF shed in which Boatbore keeps his S/S ever gets close to freezing. The Costa Blanca is similarly warm all year. So I'm rather puzzled what extensive winterisation could be required for shed storage where there is no risk at all of freezing.

Pete
    Mine is:

Put dehumidifier in boat and turn on.
    Top off tanks.
    Check drinks fridge is full.
    Check woolly hat is where expected.
    And repeat every time I use the boat in the winter.

Desiccant dehumidifier provides background heat and costs about £30 in leccy in the coldest months.
    Means beds can be left made up, clothes in wardrobe etc facilitating spontaneous use.
    Last edited by Elessar; 11-06-19 at 23:37.

Thanks P, that's all standard cold climate precautions but I would be surprised if the SoF shed in which Boatbore keeps his S/S ever gets close to freezing. The Costa Blanca is similarly warm all year. So I'm rather puzzled what extensive winterisation could be required for shed storage where there is no risk at all of freezing.
    I don’t think it’s particularly extensive...... just good practice. We had snow in Grimaud this winter although I think you are right that it is unlikely to freeze in the shed. I still prefer everything that has water in it to be drained including the lavatory, air con and seakeeeper...... can’t do any harm and seems to be good practice. I also have the electricity plugged in once a month for a few hours to top up batteries and run de-humidifier. Which drains into the sink (and onto the hanger floor !). I leave internal cushions on board but put all the outside ones in my garage which is very dry. Anchor chain gets run out to help with anti corrosion but is probably not especially necessary.
    Ideally I would have engines serviced at end of season rather than at beginning. It is probably marginally better to have them sit full of clean oil than dirty oil all winter, although in practice this usually doesn’t happen to plan as the SoF mechanics tend to do the job when it suits them and not when it suits me !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast