Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hamble to Dartmouth

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Well obviously it depends on the times of tide and whether you want to sail all day, what the weather actually does etc.
    We tend to actually sail our boat, so don't tie ourselves to passage plans that require maintaining a VMG of 6 knots.
    Studland is a very long way off the rhumb line, especially if there's any South in the wind.
    If you leave Hurst with the tide, you can get to Weymouth. The next tide gets you to Dartmouth.
    Yarmouth to Dart is more doable in one hit the more you're happy motoring, or the more favourable the breeze.
    It can pay to go up into Lyme Bay somewhat to avoid the worst of the tide when it turns.

There isn't a right or wrong way in general, plan to suit what you want to do, the boat and the weather.
    I quite like the 'holiday starts at Yarmouth' approach as getting the boat ready and getting off the mooring etc tends to be a bit hectic for us. With a full crew I may just leave the mooring and keep going.

Maintaing 6kts for us did mean engine assist on occasion in a W33 ketch over 14 years but in our later Sun Legende 41 over 10 years was easy peasy. Nowadays with twin x 260hp yanmars very easy peasy
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Lots of good advice here as usual, but if it looks like motoring conditions and you stay out of the stronger flood (along the N. shore) you can go straight from Hamble and have high water meet you somewhere before Hurst.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Do not do this going to Weymouth is a huge waste of time. It will take you as long to get to Dartmouth from Weymouth as from Studland. You also restricted on your departure time to get the race right around Portland Bill.

It only takes about 3 hours from Yarmouth to Studland and if it is a pleasant evening it can be a lovely night sail. It is easy to anchor when you arrive.

Exactly so, and the stress of PB inner passage if you don't know it against an offshore passage.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post

Exactly so, and the stress of PB inner passage if you don't know it against an offshore passage.
    But if the weather's nice, a good opportunity to take the inshore route. If you ever find yourself wanting to go into Weymouth on the way East, it's always nice to have seen the Bill before.

But if the weather's nice, a good opportunity to take the inshore route. If you ever find yourself wanting to go into Weymouth on the way East, it's always nice to have seen the Bill before.
    but the plan was . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    My ‘plan’ is to wait at Yarmouth, leave there on the last of the flood, exit the Needles Channel on the first of the ebb. And
    I’ve not done this passage before though I do know the Needles and the then do the trip in one leg, passing a good 5miles south of Portland Bill.
    Graham
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I believe my sister, crewing for a friend, is the joint holder of the record for giving Portland Race a wide berth in hard weather: They were in sight of the Channel LV when it reported F9.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    but the plan was . . .
    My plans are often flexed in response to the weather.
    On a nice day, Portland is not a strong reason for not stopping at Weymouth, if that's where the wind takes you.

Eastbound the time taken to get to Weymouth from the inshore passage could have you passing Swanage going via the offshore option. Weymouth IMHO best visited as an intended destination not as a stopover.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Eastbound the time taken to get to Weymouth from the inshore passage could have you passing Swanage going via the offshore option. Weymouth IMHO best visited as an intended destination not as a stopover.
    Quite likely true, depends on the wind direction.
    I've found Weymouth a handy stopover because you can get alongside and there are some useful services. I also know people there, so I'm biased.
    I like Swanage, but it's basically anchor and maybe row ashore for the pub and supplies. And it's no good in an Easterly.

When we used to do this trip we would anchor in Totland bay which if the tides were playing ball mean an overnight there, then leave 1 hour before HW for Totland, by the time you got into the main fairway down to Bridge, the ebb had just started. This we did once to Plymouth in one hop, dealing with the flood across Lyme bay.
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast