Default Towing a larger trailer

I have a lovely American caravan, it's here at my home, but I'd thought about towing it...problem is that it's 11m long. Weight is not a big issue as it's 3,200kg, but even though my Range will tow 3,500 apparently the maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. Anyone know of a work around for this...or what is a nice vehicle that's over 3,500 GVW, I don't want to buy an old box van or anything commercial looking.

Default Re: Towing a larger trailer

I think you're out of luck. Heaviest production car in the UK is the RR phantom which is 2700kg. I think to tow your caravan you're going to need a truck, a class 1 licence and a tacho.

The 7m excludes A Frame but that wont help you.
    Boats work round it as the boat is the load, which is allowed to overhang the trailer, and the length of the A Frame can be interpretted as very long on boat trailers.
    I think you are stuck with finding a vehicle of more than gvw 3500.....cant think of anything non commercial for that.
    Maybe a full size American pick up is the answer?

I believe I can tow up to 12,000kg with my license...so anything between 3.5 and 7.5kg would work...but like I said, I don't want a box truck...very frustrating.

I know you dont want box but if box it is little will beat the cool factor of a Unimog. I lusted after one of them in my youth.

https://www.unimogs.co.uk/our-stock/unimogs

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I know you dont want box but if box it is little will beat the cool factor of a Unimog. I lusted after one of them in my youth.

https://www.unimogs.co.uk/our-stock/unimogs
    Tee-hee, totally agreed, they are awesome.

DPB's suggestion of a US full-size pickup is probably the most car-like answer, something like an F250 or F350 super duty would be more than 3500kg.

Used a Mog for the base for my expedition vehicle Bruce, not cheap to run but bloody good fun and of course I had to push it and see what it could do and boy does it go off road.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.