Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: Another RNLI Boat Out of Use

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    And pulling boats (rowing boats) with cork lifejackets.
    No, just modern boats and no top-heavy management and careers. 80+ independent stations do it.

I donít know whatís gone on at Peterhead, but I do know the lies, bullying and downright nastiness Poole are putting the New Quay team through at the moment, very little different to what St Abbs went through.

Poole HQ couldnít, sadly, give a sh1t about people on the coast. The covered up theft of the Penlee gold medal is an example.
    Western Solent's Lifeboat -.http://solent-rescue.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    Good question. It isn't.
    But it is. People writing rules and procedures should have practical experience of the situations that require, or don't need the rules or procedures they're writing.

PW

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    But it is. People writing rules and procedures should have practical experience of the situations that require, or don't need the rules or procedures they're writing.

PW
    Well if you think it's a good idea to clean bird mess of the cabin roof whilst on a shout in the teeth of a storm, but surely even you are not really that daft.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 09-06-19 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Exactly. There is nothing wrong with the current H & S regulations. It is the way some idiots interprete them that is the problem.
    +1 I have heard some H & S officers having so little to do they have started making up their own rules rather than be seen sitting at a desk twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    +1 I have heard some H & S officers having so little to do they have started making up their own rules rather than be seen sitting at a desk twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do.
    So in reality they have a job that isnt needed, then "Empire build" to justify their existence

H&S and the legislation that goes with it has been responsible for saving countless lives and transforming industries. The fact that we live in a litigious society has caused some to be over prescriptive should not in anyway detract from the necessity for H&S legislation and its enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    H&S and the legislation that goes with it has been responsible for saving countless lives and transforming industries. The fact that we live in a litigious society has caused some to be over prescriptive should not in anyway detract from the necessity for H&S legislation and its enforcement.
    Absolutely +1000 and then some

Some people seem to forget, or choose to ignore, the harsh fact that prior to Health and Safety legilsation, people were routinely maimed and killed at work on a daily basis

Furthermore, is there any actual evidence that this specific problem in any way relates to health and safety? As far as I can see, it appears to be an ongoing and long running disagreement between factions in the crew at the station

This sort of thing can be the bane of a largely volunteer organisation (as can local volunteer groups within a national organisation being obdurate about abiding by national policy but we don't actually know if such is at the root of this problem)

Back in the day, I was once told, in all seriousness, "you can't sack a volunteer" when such a situation arose. I begged to differ and still do!

"Furthermore, is there any actual evidence that this specific problem in any way relates to health and safety? As far as I can see, it appears to be an ongoing and long running disagreement between factions in the crew at the station"

you are very much closer to the truth than some on here H& S has very little if anything to do with it, wish I could say more but it break confidences and possibly identify people with whom I have communicated

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Well if you think it's a good idea to clean bird mess of the cabin roof whilst on a shout in the teeth of a storm, but surely even you are not really that daft.
    Why would anyone?!

PW

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    And that is in what way relevant?
    Read the accounts of the Sables lifeboat disaster.
    Look at the photos. Ask yourself....
    The crews of lifeboats go to sea when all others are safely ashore or have run for cover. It takes a special type of person to do that. The mentality to take to sea in the face of certain danger and possible death does not get worried about standing on a cabin roof without a safety harness and anti drop line suspended from above just inncase you slip or fall over.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast