Default exhaust elbow KAD 44 replacement

these coke up over time, can not see the replacement / cleaning interval in my service manual, but i recon it's never come off, 20 yrs old, 500 hours
    possibly can be cleaned up with hydrochloric acid

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-25-2974B.aspx

there is an exhaust hose below, 41, is this likely to need replacement too ?

and the inlet cooling pipe, 33, likely to be seized on ?

Default Re: exhaust elbow KAD 44 replacement

With my 2003 KAD 300.,s ( virtually identical ) they developed orange rust spots on the outside ,thatís the tell tale and a steady rise in water temp .

When removed , an easy enough job btw the spray pattern holes where almost completely blocked .A combination of ď coke ď as you call it but mostly corrosion.
    The restrictions of the lumens means decreased water flow .
    Felt like poor quality cast iron type metal , i was not impressed .
    Additionally you can peep down ( when the elbow is off ) to see the top of the riser / horn bit( part 40 on the ^^ link ) where it fits that black rubber hose .
    Well no prizes for guessing the rim of that was eaten by corrosion.Engine our job to replace that as it was below the waterline at the base .

I fitted a new aftermarket elbow on the effected engine reassembled it , painted the other side the disguise itís orange spots as itís temp ps where still ok ish ?
    Then promptly disinvested out of VP never to return = sold the dam thing at the end of season 2014 .

Fortunately the buyers surveyor did not pick up this , although engine access was pretty poor at the transom end of this particular stern drive boat a Portofino 35 , but I guess that much of a norm - rear access engine issues at this size ?? - thankfully @ sale , not so good generally as rust festers away unnoticed , ďout of sight out of mind ď.

They are a maintenance item and as Porto said the housing rusts and blocks off the holes restricting raw water flow through the cooling system. Buy locally, here is a aftermarket one https://repowermarine.com/index.php/.../category/286/
    You will need to replace the clamp, part 26 (note do not drop the nut on it when putting on, it's an odd thread size not easily replace)
    You will also need to replace bellows and clamps 41 and 42.
    You will find when you remove the bellows that the lip is often rusted up on top and lower elbow. You either need to replace if very bad or sand down for a good seal.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    They are a maintenance item and as Porto said the housing rusts and blocks off the holes restricting raw water flow through the cooling system. Buy locally, here is a aftermarket one https://repowermarine.com/index.php/.../category/286/
    You will need to replace the clamp, part 26 (note do not drop the nut on it when putting on, it's an odd thread size not easily replace)
    You will also need to replace bellows and clamps 41 and 42.
    You will find when you remove the bellows that the lip is often rusted up on top and lower elbow. You either need to replace if very bad or sand down for a good seal.
    Bruce, that's a good link. Do Repower Marine do any other aftermarket VP parts that are noteworthy?

Their belts and pulleys are excellent value with the pulley being about half the price. Raw water pump is again about half price. It is after market but mine has been exemplary for 3 years as is serviceable which OEM are not. Have a look around their selection isn't the greatest but what they do have is fit for purpose and realistically priced. I'm a Keypart.co.uk man myself for service parts bulk orders but their website isn't the greatest. I source my part numbers from Marinepartseurope and then enter them into their search database.
    Last edited by BruceK; 06-06-19 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I source my part numbers from Marinepartseurope and then enter them into their search database.
    +1 !